League Forums

Main - Team News

Re: Houston Gamblers

By Smirt211
6/23/2020 4:05 pm
My original plans were to stat collect with Curtis Scott with him as the centerpiece. Came out the gate and he was 'boss'ing it and then that knee injury hit. He was gone for awhile, came back ineffective and I position switched him to WR to re-wire him. That got him to be productive again but on a different scale. The 4.9 ypc in the 1975 season and the 3.4 ypc in the 1975 preseason with 21 yards and 45 yards capped off long runs display the time period he lost his shine.

Robinzine emerged as my new go-to focal point!
Last edited at 6/23/2020 4:12 pm

By Cjfred68
9/09/2020 1:01 pm
Here we track QB Tony Dean, 2X MVP and 3X Champ in his quest to become one of the alltime greats in the USFL. After 8 seasons, 7 as a starter, here is where he currently stands.

34,757 passing yards
23rd alltime
7th alltime among active QBs
2nd alltime yards/attempt among that group
1st alltime completion percentage among that group.

313 TD passes
9th alltime
2nd alltime among active QBs
1st fewest INTs among top ten

106.71 QB rating
1st alltime for QBs with a minimum of 1000 attempts

8.43 yards per attempt
8th alltime for QBs with a minimum of 1000 attempts
2nd alltime among active QBs with a minimum of 1000 attempts

4131 attempts
30th alltime
9th alltime among active QBs

2719 completions
25th alltime
6th alltime among active QBs

38 sacks
13th alltime for QBs with a minimum of 1000 attempts
3rd alltime for QBs with a minimum of 2000 attempts
1st alltime for QBs with a minimum of 3000 attempts

107 interceptions
55th alltime least for a QB with a minimum of 1000 attempts
26th alltime least for a QB with a minimum of 2000 attempts
4th alltime least for a QB with a minimum of 3000 attempts
1st alltime least for a QB with a minimum of 4000 attempts

POSTSEASON

5356 yards passing
2nd alltime
1st alltime among active QBs

39 passing TDs
3rd alltime

94.33 QB rating
8th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 100 attempts
7th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 200 attempts
6th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 300 attempts
4th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 400 attempts
2nd alltime among QBs with a minimum of 500 attempts

7.86 yards per attempt
10th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 100 attempts
9th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 200 attempts
8th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 300 attempts
5th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 400 attempts
3rd alltime among QBs with a minimum of 500 attempts

681 attempts
2nd alltime

435 completions
2nd alltime

5 sacks
5th alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 100 attempts
2nd alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 300 attempts
1st alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 500 attempts

21 interceptions
47th alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 100 attempts
16th alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 300 attempts
3rd alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 500 attempts

By Cjfred68
12/15/2020 2:06 pm
Here we track QB Tony Dean, 3X MVP and 3X Champ in his quest to become one of the alltime greats in the USFL. After 9 seasons, 8 as a starter, here is where he currently stands.

Tony Dean would like to personally thank all the owners who voted him the MVP this last season. Being recognized by your peers is amazing and he appreciates it very much.

40,084 passing yards
14th alltime
3rd alltime among active QBs
1st alltime yards/attempt among that group
1st alltime completion percentage among that group.

361 TD passes
4th alltime
1st fewest INTs among top ten

108.74 QB rating
1st alltime for QBs with a minimum of 1000 attempts

8.55 yards per attempt
5th alltime for QBs with a minimum of 1000 attempts
1st alltime among active QBs with a minimum of 1000 attempts

4689 attempts
26th alltime
5th alltime among active QBs

3128 completions
22nd alltime
3rd alltime among active QBs

43 sacks
13th alltime for QBs with a minimum of 1000 attempts
3rd alltime for QBs with a minimum of 2000 attempts
1st alltime for QBs with a minimum of 3000 attempts

115 interceptions
55th alltime least for a QB with a minimum of 1000 attempts
26th alltime least for a QB with a minimum of 2000 attempts
4th alltime least for a QB with a minimum of 3000 attempts
1st alltime least for a QB with a minimum of 4000 attempts

POSTSEASON

6,149 yards passing
2nd alltime

44 passing TDs
3rd alltime

90.80 QB rating
13th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 100 attempts
7th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 200 attempts
6th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 300 attempts
4th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 400 attempts
2nd alltime among QBs with a minimum of 500 attempts

7.57 yards per attempt
10th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 100 attempts
9th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 200 attempts
8th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 300 attempts
5th alltime among QBs with a minimum of 400 attempts
3rd alltime among QBs with a minimum of 500 attempts

812 attempts
1st alltime

516 completions
1st alltime

7 sacks
5th alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 100 attempts
2nd alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 300 attempts
1st alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 500 attempts

27 interceptions
47th alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 100 attempts
16th alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 300 attempts
3rd alltime least for QBs with a minimum of 500 attempts

By Cjfred68
6/18/2021 1:32 pm

January 22, 1995

HOUSTON WINS 5TH TITLE

73,208 packed the Superdome in New Orleans as the Houston Gamblers returned to the World Bowl after a six year absence to face off against the Washington Federals who are making back to back World Bowls, their 3rd in the last 5 seasons and 4th overall. With all the hoopla and build up to the big game, it was Houston's 4-0 World Bowl Record versus Washington's 0-3 Record which gained much attention. The Gamblers have used a dynamic and deep offense to win the big game in the past posting scores of 37, 27, 34 and 36. The Federals have used a sniffling defense to make back to back World Bowls and something had to give.

The Gamblers stayed patient and balanced on offense running the ball 29 times while throwing it 32 times and capitalized in the redzone scoring 2 touchdowns in 2 trips. Houston took a 14-0 lead into halftime while the defense gave up just 83 total yards in the 1st half.

The 2nd half starting with 3 straight punts before Ryan Dearing fumbled near midfield and gave the Federals good field position. Washington finally found some success on offense and moved the ball down to the Houston 2 yard line before Thomas Huston picked off Scott Beiber in the end zone to dash any hopes of a comeback.

The Gamblers tacked on a fieldgoal to make it 17-0 then after trading punts, the Federals finally hit paydirt but it was too little too late as Houston went on to win 24-8!

TONY DEAN GETS 4TH RING

This World Bowl was all about Tony Dean's legacy in the USFL. Even if Dean had retired before this season, he had done enough with 3 MVPs and 3 World Bowl titles to be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer but this World Bowl meant separating himself as the best QB in the history of the USFL.

Dean played an intelligent game, he seemed poised and relaxed and took what the defense gave him while keeping the offense balanced. Entering the game, questions about Dean's age and arm strength were asked based on the worst interception (23) season of his career. Tony Dean put those questions to bed in the postseason by completing 75.0% of his passes and posting a 7/1 TD/INT ratio and a 117.47 QBR.

Tony Dean won his 4th ring and becomes the 1st to accomplish that feat at QB in the USFL. He broke a tie with QB Mario Valencio who retired with 3 rings. When asked after the game if this was his last game and would he retire? Tony Dean simply said:

"I'm gonna to Disneyland"

By Cjfred68
7/01/2021 6:45 am

By Cjfred68
7/15/2021 11:35 am
Tony "MVP" Dean

Alltime Stats

QB RATING

He has the highest QB rating in the history of the USFL among actual starting quarterbacks. His QB rating of 109.18 is 6.59 higher then the 2nd best rating. He is only one of three QBs with a QB rating over 100 in the history of the USFL.

TD PASSES

He currently has 498 TD passes and as soon as his next game should become just the 2nd quarterback to reach the 500 TD plateau. He is 12 TD passes behind QB Jon Snow and from the production so far during the 1995, it's likely he should catch and pass him at some point this season.

YARDS/ATTEMPT

Among starting QBs, his 8.60 yards/attempt is 3rd Alltime (4th if QB Ty Fleming is considered a starter).

YARDS PASSING

His 56,434 yards passing is 4th Alltime QBs in the history of the USFL. He is 388 yards behind QB Jon Snow for 3rd, 3849 yards behind QB Dustin Nichols for 2nd and 7798 yards behind QB Joe Richardson for 1st Alltime. Based on him getting at least 5000 yards passing the last 4 seasons, he should pass both Snow and Nichols by the end of the season. He will need to play another season if he wants to finish 1st Alltime in both passing yards and passing TDs.

Last edited at 7/15/2021 11:54 am

By Cjfred68
8/10/2021 9:17 pm

November 28th, 1995

Shenanigans on Special Teams leads to Fine and Termination

Coach Fired!!! Team fined millions!!!

In front of 65,816 fanatic spectators inside the Astrodome, special teams coach Brian Deed inserted one of Houstons biggest offensive weapons into the punt return formation in the 3rd quarter of a pivotal Conference match-up against the Denver Gold and lined him up on the defensive front four!!!

He did this without the knowledge of Head Coach Dorian Peters or Offensive Coordinator Jesse Cain in some sort of twist he came up with which clearly was in violation of league rules and safety protocols. Apparently, Deed had secretly worked with Chance in practice and decided to go rogue during the game. It worked, Hugh Chance blocked the punt and that was the issue.

The league had instituted weight restrictions for the front four on punt return formations in 1988 when undrafted rookie WR Lex Sample was paralyzed in preseason when playing on the front four of the punt return formation. He was attempting to make the team as a special teamer and in his attempt to block the punt was brutally double team blocked by Generals G Kirby Puckett & T Don "Donkey" Kong.

The Leauge and players association swiftly instituted the new rules prohibited players players under 265 pounds from playing the front four on punt return formations. The rule hasn't been strictly enforced over the years but has stopped skill position players from lining up on the front four....until now!

The game continued after the punt block with no flags or even a stoppage but after the game, the entire Houston Gambler organization including owner C. J. Fredericktown and Head Coach Peters was quick to apologize to the League, the Denver Gold and the players and fans for violating this rule. They fired special team coach Deed and paid an undisclosed fine to the league while donating 1 million dollars to the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation in the name of the Denver Gold organization.

When special teams coach Brian Deed was questioned, he gave this statement.

"This whole mess was entirely my fault, I had been working with WR Chance in practice on getting to the punter without knowledge from any other coach and I decided to use him during the game. I was aware their was a rule on the books but I hadn't seen any enforcement or mention of the rule in years and thought...why not. Clearly I was wrong and for that I want to apologize to my team, my fellow coaching staff and the players for creating this nightmare. I want to apologize to the Denver Gold for using an unlawful player against them and I want to apologize to WR Hugh Chance for putting him into this mess. To his credit, when I first approached him about using him on punt return formations, he did ask me, is this legal? and I told him it will be fine, let me handle it. I accept full responsibility for my actions and want to thank the Houston Gamblers for giving me a chance and simply close with...I'm sorry!

When owner C. J. Frederickson was questioned about the incident, he had this to say:

"This whole fiasco with the punt block is an extreme embarrassment for this team, this city, myself, our coaching staff and our players. I want to personal apologize to Denver and thier owner V. C. Ramsey for this error that one of young coaches clearly made without the consent or knowledge of our entire coaching staff. He has been removed from our organization because he has tarnished our name. This organization has a proud history and we would never knowingly violate rules or endanger players. Our goal now as always is to win the Championship, with dignity and class and we will continue to do so as we Head into the Playoffs this season and beyond.
Last edited at 8/10/2021 9:17 pm

By jabillups85
8/11/2021 11:38 am
This is fantastic!!

By Dogboyuk75
8/11/2021 2:44 pm
i agree if it leads to more reports like this do it again cfred :)

By Cjfred68
9/24/2021 2:05 pm

October 1, 1996

CAN HOUSTON BE EVEN BETTER???

The Houston Gamblers are 4-0 and coming off back to back Championships. Tony Dean has returned and just passed Jon Snow for 2nd alltime in passing yards and is 1st alltime in passing TDs. Dean needs 2,376 passing yards to reach Joe Richardson's alltime passing yards record. Thats an average of 198 yards a game in the remaining 12 games.

With all that going on, the Gamblers keep winning with the 2nd overall offense but quietly the defense is the #1 ranked overall defense in the league through 4 games. When they won it all in 1994, they did it with the 4th ranked offense (2nd passing/14th rushing) and a 15th ranked defense (13th passing/19th rushing). In 1995, they won with the 3rd ranked offense (4th passing/7th rushing) and 15th ranked defense (4th passing/30th rushing).

This season the offense is ranked 2nd overall (4th passing/4th rushing) but the defense is ranked 1st overall (1st passing/2nd rushing). Could this be the most complete team the Gamblers have ever had? The combined record of their 4 opponents is 6-10 so maybe it's too early to jump to conclusions but the Gamblers have allowed just 32 total points this season.

Two of the next 3 games are against playoff teams (Washinton/Memphis) so time will tell but if the Gamblers stay a top 10 defense...they might be the best Houston Gamblers team to take the field in recent memory!
Last edited at 9/24/2021 2:06 pm