The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Hall of Fame Process Language for Discussion

By tribewriter
9/14/2018 8:09 am
Below is some proposed draft language for our USFL/WFL Hall of Fame process. Please review and comment. This is not a vote, just a discussion.

A few notes:
* I looked over both the NFL and MLB Hall of Fame rules to come up with this.
* I waived the five-year waiting period because MFN players won't change their mind and come out of retirement.
* I did not put a cap on the number of inductees for the first class. Any retired player will be eligible for nomination. The first Pro Football Hall of Fame class, in 1963, had 17 members. The first Baseball Hall of Fame class, in 1936, had five members.
* The five-year participation rule won't apply to the first class. Agustin Crook would have played much longer than four seasons if he had been drafted at 22 instead of 33 (and would have set records that would never be broken).

Eligibility

* A player is eligible for nomination upon retirement.

* A player must have completed five full seasons to be eligible. The first ballot will be the exception.

Process

* Any USFL/WFL coach, past or present, can nominate a player for Hall of Fame induction.

* A three-member screening committee will review the nominations and determine the ballot for that season.

* No more than four players can be elected in one season. The first ballot will be the exception.

* Only players on the ballot are eligible. There are no write-in votes.

* A player who receives 75 percent of the votes cast will be inducted into the Hall of Fame. If no player receives 75 percent, the top vote-getter will be inducted.

* A player who receives 10 percent of the votes cast will automatically be placed on the following year’s ballot.

Re: Hall of Fame Process Language for Discussion

By Jaybo911
9/14/2018 6:23 pm
I really like this nice work. I just see 2 things I think we could discuss. First with the 75 percent I don't think we need the cap on the number of players that get in each year. Second I think 10 percent to get on the following ballet is too low 25 to 30 I think would be better.

Let's discuss.

By ToroTex
9/15/2018 11:04 am
Jaybo911 wrote:
I really like this nice work. I just see 2 things I think we could discuss. First with the 75 percent I don't think we need the cap on the number of players that get in each year. Second I think 10 percent to get on the following ballet is too low 25 to 30 I think would be better.

Let's discuss.

I agree with these 2 points of view.

By Pernbronze
9/15/2018 8:12 pm
I'd just make it simple 3 players per season until 5 seasons accrued then 5 per season. For the first class we'd basically make however many votes are needed as if done that season ignoring future production or players. Each season we'd list off 10 players from each position the top 3 vote getters from each position would be added to the how eligibility pool. Then vote from there. Trimming down roghly half each vote till there are 5.

By Booger926
9/15/2018 10:07 pm
Pernbronze wrote:
I'd just make it simple 3 players per season until 5 seasons accrued then 5 per season. For the first class we'd basically make however many votes are needed as if done that season ignoring future production or players. Each season we'd list off 10 players from each position the top 3 vote getters from each position would be added to the how eligibility pool. Then vote from there. Trimming down roghly half each vote till there are 5.

This pretty much the real HoF voting procedure

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
9/16/2018 6:53 am
IMO this should be done with just 1 vote per HOF class. Just give us a list of players to vote on, count the votes, rinse and repeat next year.

Commish has stated anyone can nominate players so I don't think it necessary to vote to see who we will vote on later. I'm thinking each owner could nominate their own players in a forum thread, even if it's simply to say "nobody retired". That would limit the search for candidates to the teams who did not respond.

For example:

1980 HOF Nominees

My reply would be " The NJ Generals had no players retire in 1980."

Someone else's reply might be "The Tampa Bay Buccaneers would like to nominate RB Willie Waymire for the MFN-48 Hall of Fame. https://mfn48.myfootballnow.com/player/207

*** I realize this isn't MFN-48, he's just the first HOF worthy player I thought of. ***

We gotta try to keep this simple for everyone, especially Tribewriter. He already has enough to deal with in this league so I'd like to limit his involvement to setting up the 1 poll and publishing the results in our blog.
Last edited at 9/16/2018 6:56 am

By tribewriter
9/16/2018 1:21 pm
The only downside I see to raidergreg's plan is that, frankly, we will always have some coaches who are not paying attention. Deserving players might be passed over because their coaches are asleep at the wheel and don't nominate them. That is why I am recommending a three-person committee to look over the candidates and finalize the nominations.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
9/16/2018 4:55 pm
tribewriter wrote:
The only downside I see to raidergreg's plan is that, frankly, we will always have some coaches who are not paying attention. Deserving players might be passed over because their coaches are asleep at the wheel and don't nominate them. That is why I am recommending a three-person committee to look over the candidates and finalize the nominations.

If even just half of the league replies yearly then a 3 person committee only has about 5 teams to check each. With a few clicks, we can see who retired and if they have accumulated enough stats to be considered.

By Booger926
9/16/2018 6:17 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
tribewriter wrote:

If even just half of the league replies yearly then a 3 person committee only has about 5 teams to check each. With a few clicks, we can see who retired and if they have accumulated enough stats to be considered.

I have developed a spreadsheet of potential HoF Candidates which took me over 8+ hours to complete. This spread sheet consisted of every player created by the league since 1974 until the 1980 season. I then eliminated every player who is currently still not "officially" as listed as retired. Of the retired players, I then separated them by the year they retired. I then eliminated any retired player who was not on the first page of the League's All-Time Player Stats under the available statistical categories for that year. (Passing, Rushing, Receiving, ect) Anyone not on that first page under that year under a specific stat was not considered.

I then used the first page of the League's All-Time Player Stats sub-categories for that category (Att/Comp/Yards/TDs for passing as an example) to list all retired players who were a leader in that category, giving each one point for being on that "first page" sub-category. I then eliminated any retired player who did not meet the required 32 positions as used by the "first page."

Currently, there are 63 players of 320 in which I consider HoF worthy as of the end of 1979.

As I stated, it originally took me 8+ hours to gather and present this information.

To find out how much work it would take for our commissioner to follow the same procedures to present the same information, I eliminated the last year (1979) and began anew for that year. It took me 15-25 minutes to come up with same results for 1979.

By Booger926
9/16/2018 6:18 pm
But maybe I am wrong