The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Hall of Fame?

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/28/2018 11:06 pm
I've been meaning to bring this up for awhile but now seems like a good time to do it. It's not an original idea but we should have a USFL/WFL Hall of Fame soon. We are entering our 7th season so a lot of players are starting to accumulate some impressive career stats, and the only drawback I see is adding another portion of extra material on tribewriter's plate.

Idk what exact criteria we would use, that sounds like a forum discussion. I know Private 75 has a HOF, but I just vote, idk how they figure the candidates.

Re: Hall of Fame?

By tribewriter
8/29/2018 5:15 am
I'm definitely willing to explore this. We would need to discuss criteria and the nominating process.

By Booger926
9/11/2018 12:25 pm
Just in case any one is wondering.

Going into the 1980 season (our seventh season)

There are
101 Retired QBs
160 Retired RBs/FBs
112 Retired TEs
261 Retired WRs
314 Retired OLs
73 Retired Punters/Kickers
181 Retired DEs/DTs
245 Retired LBs
and 192 Retired CBs/FSs/SSs

That is an awful lot of stats to go thru to decide deserving candidates....and these numbers are only going to get bigger each and every new season.

Not that I am against a HoF mind you.

9/11/2018 6:07 pm
Booger926 wrote:

There are
101 Retired QBs
160 Retired RBs/FBs
112 Retired TEs
261 Retired WRs
314 Retired OLs
73 Retired Punters/Kickers
181 Retired DEs/DTs
245 Retired LBs
and 192 Retired CBs/FSs/SSs

That is an awful lot of stats to go thru to decide deserving candidates....and these numbers are only going to get bigger each and every new season.

That's making a mountain out of a molehill. We've only played 6 full seasons and I would think a candidate would need to play at least 5-6 seasons, if not more, to even be eligible. Therefore we can ignore everyone who retired before the 1979 season.

Depending on eligibility requirements, if we make it 7 years minimum to be eligible then we would only need to look at those players who retire following this 1980 season.

By Booger926
9/11/2018 7:02 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
Booger926 wrote:

There are currently a total of 1639 retired players (edited to show totals and reduce space)

That's making a mountain out of a molehill. We've only played 6 full seasons and I would think a candidate would need to play at least 5-6 seasons, if not more, to even be eligible. Therefore we can ignore everyone who retired before the 1979 season.

If we only considered those that retired after the 1979 season, then I would have to question why ignore such great players who made a difference in the league's infancy. Players like QB Agustin Crook , who retired at the end of the 1977 season. Crook is currently 15th on the All-Time list in Passing Yardage, 19th in Attempts, 18th in completions, 10th in TDs thrown, and 6th in rating. Crook also was the league leader in 1974, and 1977 for his position in his final season. Crook also appeared in the post season three times (74,75,77)

What about RB Mark Collins . Collins retired after the 1976 season and he is still 35th All-Time in yardage and 32nd in Atts while appearing in the '75 postseason.

Now don't get me wrong. I am all in for a HoF for our league's players, but I also believe that we (the league) need to look where we have been to see where we are going.

I know there will be Unanimously HoF Canidates picked ( WR Heckman, DE Zarate just to name two off the top of my head) when they are eligible. But who paved the road for them?

By Booger926
9/11/2018 7:36 pm
But if its such a mole hill mountain, why don't you tackle the problem and give your recommendations.

By tribewriter
9/11/2018 7:40 pm
You both make valid points. I am giving this issue some serious thought. At this stage, discussion offers perspective, and that can be productive.

9/11/2018 8:16 pm
Booger926 wrote:
But if its such a mole hill mountain, why don't you tackle the problem and give your recommendations.

I did, I said HOFers should probably play at least 5 or 6 years if not more.

Imo, the HOF is for players who are the best of the best, and to me, that means more than 4 awesome years.

The real HOF has a veterans committee in addition to the regular vote. We could have a special "wing" in our HOF for the pioneers of our league like Crook, whose short careers would otherwise make them ineligible.

By Loftusranger
9/12/2018 4:28 pm
Is a compromise to set a criteria of say 5,6,7 years or whatever we feel is appropriate but disregard that for anyone who was taken in the allocation draft. That allows the trail blazers to be eligible although all players will still need to meet whatever other criteria is required to be deemed worthy of a HOF spot.

9/13/2018 6:01 am
Well I imagine each year we'll have a list of names to vote on, like we do with our All Pro teams. Say have 8-10 on the ballot with no more than 5 getting in, but at least 1 every year.

Voting can be done several ways. We could rank the candidates in order and assign x points for first place votes, z points for second place, etc. We could have people vote for 3 names, or 5 names and make it a % of the vote. If a player is on 75%, he's in. Maybe there is another way I haven't thought of, my brain shut off after work 3 hours ago.