The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

New Blog Post, April 25: New Power Rankings System (?)

By tribewriter
4/25/2018 11:14 am
I have tried to devise a new (and, hopefully, improved) power rankings system for MFN. It is actually a modification of a system that has been in place in Ohio high school football since 1972. Have a look and tell me what you think.
https://mfnusflwfl.blogspot.com

Re: New Blog Post, April 25: New Power Rankings System (?)

By Booger926
4/25/2018 11:55 am
Thnx for doing this

By jabillups85
4/25/2018 12:18 pm
Sounds Great!!!

By AlexanDragon
4/25/2018 12:25 pm
Surprisingly, your team made a bounce from 13 to 6th... Pfff this is all rigged !! I want a recount and an urinal test asap!

By tribewriter
4/25/2018 12:34 pm
AlexanDragon wrote:
Surprisingly, your team made a bounce from 13 to 6th... Pfff this is all rigged !! I want a recount and an urinal test asap!

That wasn't actually the motivation for this, but I did think No. 13 was a bit low for a 12-4 team last season.

By AlexanDragon
4/25/2018 12:36 pm
I actually am "shocked" they placed you 13th lol

By Pernbronze
4/26/2018 1:36 am
I don't get it, its just changing a number but is still just W-L ratio which isn't indicative of power rankings. Power rankings are meant to measure the ability of a team which is rarely reflected in W-L record accurately.

By tribewriter
4/26/2018 5:59 am
Pernbronze wrote:
I don't get it, its just changing a number but is still just W-L ratio which isn't indicative of power rankings. Power rankings are meant to measure the ability of a team which is rarely reflected in W-L record accurately.

You are right, to an extent. The MOHR rankings reflect strength of schedule more than anything. A team with eight wins against 0-16 teams is going to have a much lower number than a team with eight wins against playoff-caliber teams.

I am not promoting this as a mathematical model. This is just a method to increase interest and conversation and to add value to our league (which is already more than most commissioners of user-created leagues are providing).

By PrivateSnowflake
4/26/2018 6:23 am
As a native of the great state of Ohio, I agree this is a far superior system to "rank" teams.

Thanks for putting this together!

By jabillups85
4/26/2018 8:04 am
PrivateSnowflake wrote:
As a native of the great state of Ohio, I agree this is a far superior system to "rank" teams.

Thanks for putting this together!

I second this!! Ohio=superior!