The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Future Draft Pick Trading: Which Proposal?

Which of these three proposals should we vote on?

Option A
Option C
Option B

Re: Future Draft Pick Trading: Which Proposal?

By tribewriter
2/28/2018 5:25 pm
In February, a discussion poll revealed that, by a 13-5 margin, league members favored discussing a cap on trading future draft picks. This is the second step in the process of adopting that measure—choosing a specific rule to put to a league-wide vote. Here are the options.

Option A (3-1-1)
A team must keep a draft choice in two of the first three rounds for all future drafts until the next season flips. When the new season begins, a team may trade those picks for the current draft only. They must retain two picks in the first three rounds of all future drafts.
Example: The Jabberwockys, currently in the 2024 season, must keep two picks in the top three rounds heading into the 2025 season. When the 2025 season begins, they may trade away all picks in the 2025 draft. They may trade only one pick each from the first three rounds of the 2026 and 2027 drafts.

Option B (3-1-0)
A team must keep a draft choice in two of the first three rounds for all future drafts until the next season flips. When the new season begins, a team may trade those picks for the current draft only. They may trade one pick in the first three rounds of the next draft and none of the draft two seasons away.
Example: The Jabberwockys have all of their draft picks heading into the 2025 season. When the 2025 season begins, they can trade away all picks for the 2025 draft, one pick in the first three rounds of the 2026 draft and no picks in the first three rounds of the 2027 draft.

Option C (3-2-1)
A team must keep a draft choice in two of the first three rounds for all future drafts until the next season flips. When the new season begins, a team may trade those picks for the current draft only. They may trade two picks in the first three rounds of the next draft and one of the draft two seasons away.
Example: The Jabberwockys have all of their draft picks heading into the 2025 season. When the 2025 season begins, they can trade away all picks for the 2025 draft, two picks in the first three rounds of the 2026 draft and one pick in the first three rounds of the 2027 draft.

Explanations
First, this does allow a team to go “all-in” for the current season without putting the franchise at a disadvantage for future seasons if the current coach leaves. The current coach must keep two picks in the first three rounds going into the next season. But, once we are assured he is going to remain in place, he is free to trade those picks before the draft begins.

Nothing prevents Coach A from negotiating a trade with Coach B involving draft picks for the upcoming season. When the season flips, if both coaches are still in place, the negotiated trade can then be formally completed.

Some teams will have multiple picks in the same round. That is why we chose the language “two of the first three rounds,” so a team with picks 1-15, 2-15, 3-15, and 3-30 can trade away one of the third-rounders if they wish.
Last edited at 3/01/2018 10:02 am

By Mcarovil
2/28/2018 9:21 pm
My head hurts

By tribewriter
2/28/2018 9:34 pm
Sorry, I wanted to offer options so that all would have a voice in this matter. There are smart people here and I value their input.

By tribewriter
3/01/2018 10:01 am
If you don't want to read all this, the number codes sort of simplify things. For instance, 3-1-1 means you can trade all picks in the first three rounds this season, one next season, and one the following season.
Last edited at 3/01/2018 10:03 am

By Mcarovil
3/01/2018 5:31 pm
Voted

By Booger926
3/01/2018 6:01 pm
My opinion, worth absolutely nothing....

A loyal league member would feel they are being handcuffed in attempts to push the envelope in the here and now to improve their team while a Johnny-come-lately may not fully understand.

I am sure someone like Seth could give up every 1st and 2nd round picks and still be successful.

I neither approve or disapprove of these proposals because each has merit to be the right or wrong thing for the betterment of the league.

I mean, first it was "Let's kick out members who aren't successful"
then it was "Restraining Order put on Trades reviews being committed"
and now its "Capping possible trades"

In my opinion, again worth absolutely nothing, I don't like the current path the league is trying to decide to take. It's a slippery and rocky high road slope.

Just my opinion

By Pernbronze
3/01/2018 8:48 pm
Booger926 wrote:
My opinion, worth absolutely nothing....

A loyal league member would feel they are being handcuffed in attempts to push the envelope in the here and now to improve their team while a Johnny-come-lately may not fully understand.

I am sure someone like Seth could give up every 1st and 2nd round picks and still be successful.

I neither approve or disapprove of these proposals because each has merit to be the right or wrong thing for the betterment of the league.

I mean, first it was "Let's kick out members who aren't successful"
then it was "Restraining Order put on Trades reviews being committed"
and now its "Capping possible trades"

In my opinion, again worth absolutely nothing, I don't like the current path the league is trying to decide to take. It's a slippery and rocky high road slope.

Just my opinion

Agreed.

By setherick
3/02/2018 12:48 am
Booger926 wrote:

To Booger's point, I routinely trade my 1's and sometimes my 2's for proven or improving players. My 1's and 2's are more valuable to me in trade than they are as the chance on a player. I'm also bargain hunting a lot of times when I do that and working out trades where I can pick up 1-3 quality players for a pick. That means I'm developing greater depth by trading the pick than I would be by keeping it.

That said, I absolutely know what I'm looking for and how that player is going to fit in my system when I trade a high pick.

This is actually a good example: https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/forums/1/507?page=1#2268

A lot of newer owners are going to go what the heck man? A 3rd for a DE with bad pass rush and bad run defense? But I immediately saw the trade as a 3rd for a near 90 SP LB (should hit in the 88-89 range) with adequate cover skills once he dropped 40 pounds to get down to WLB weight.
Last edited at 3/02/2018 12:52 am

By Pernbronze
3/02/2018 4:50 am
setherick wrote:
Booger926 wrote:

To Booger's point, I routinely trade my 1's and sometimes my 2's for proven or improving players. My 1's and 2's are more valuable to me in trade than they are as the chance on a player. I'm also bargain hunting a lot of times when I do that and working out trades where I can pick up 1-3 quality players for a pick. That means I'm developing greater depth by trading the pick than I would be by keeping it.

That said, I absolutely know what I'm looking for and how that player is going to fit in my system when I trade a high pick.

This is actually a good example: https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/forums/1/507?page=1#2268

A lot of newer owners are going to go what the heck man? A 3rd for a DE with bad pass rush and bad run defense? But I immediately saw the trade as a 3rd for a near 90 SP LB (should hit in the 88-89 range) with adequate cover skills once he dropped 40 pounds to get down to WLB weight.

I regularly do the same.

By tribewriter
3/02/2018 6:16 am
I am not entirely endorsing this proposal. But, during the discussion phase, the vote was 13 to 5 in favor of exploring it. So, I feel like we have a mandate from the coaches.

Once we decide which proposal we want to consider, everyone will have a vote on whether to add it to the league rules. If the coaches vote against adding it, that's all she wrote.

On an individual level, I don't think this rule is being considered because of guys like Pern and Setherick, who know exactly what they are doing. It is because of the guys (whose names I won't mention) who trade away all their picks, then abandon their team. And it's because of the guys like Duval and Kababmaster and eyeballll who take over a team and find they have no high draft picks with which to start building it. No one wants to be at a competitive disadvantage from Day One.