The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Discussion: Should We Cap Trading of Future Draft Picks?

Should we cap trading of future draft picks?

Yes, we should cap trading of future draft picks.
No, we should not cap trading of future draft picks.

Re: Discussion: Should We Cap Trading of Future Draft Picks?

By AlexanDragon
2/24/2018 6:54 pm
Pernbronze wrote:
AlexanDragon wrote:
Addition to the discussion;
Draft will help fill holes of about 2 spots every year. An active owner can fill those spots with the free agency signings of veteran players every year if he doesnt get draftees worth of filling those spots for temporary fix.

I tend to use the opposite strategy, I do well in free agency and then trade my picks for proven players at positions of need that I didn't get lucky filling in free agency (and happily sleep through draft days).

I think we're saying about the same thing in different manners. Its also what i do. What i first meant was that an owner with less draft picks will only have to sign more free agents. Now if he doesnt have high picks this will hurt a bit so we could probably put a cap on 1st&2nd&3rd.
All in all. After the 3rd round. Not many prospects are better than 5.6~10.11 years players still open in the Fa market. My teams would be as good if i had or if i didnt have my 4th5th6th7th. Just a bit older.

(I may struggle to explain my point but i hope youre all getting it and understand im not totaly bilingual yet)

By Pernbronze
2/25/2018 6:54 pm
AlexanDragon wrote:
Pernbronze wrote:
AlexanDragon wrote:
Addition to the discussion;
Draft will help fill holes of about 2 spots every year. An active owner can fill those spots with the free agency signings of veteran players every year if he doesnt get draftees worth of filling those spots for temporary fix.

I tend to use the opposite strategy, I do well in free agency and then trade my picks for proven players at positions of need that I didn't get lucky filling in free agency (and happily sleep through draft days).

I think we're saying about the same thing in different manners. Its also what i do. What i first meant was that an owner with less draft picks will only have to sign more free agents. Now if he doesnt have high picks this will hurt a bit so we could probably put a cap on 1st&2nd&3rd.
All in all. After the 3rd round. Not many prospects are better than 5.6~10.11 years players still open in the Fa market. My teams would be as good if i had or if i didnt have my 4th5th6th7th. Just a bit older.

(I may struggle to explain my point but i hope youre all getting it and understand im not totaly bilingual yet)

I see what you are saying but I'm saying I have more value trading my 1,2,3 rather than drafting with them. It comes down to approach.

By Pernbronze
2/25/2018 7:32 pm
I think this whole capping thing really hits hard on people who use strategies that are out of the norm, and forces people to play by the common strategy.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
2/25/2018 8:17 pm
Have a "tenure" rule. If someone like Pernbronze has been around MFN for some time, they can trade whatever picks they want. Players who have experience here know what they're giving up and don't need rules to protect them from themselves.

Players without that experience need to prove themselves somehow before we let them trade willy nilly.

Just my 2 cents

By Mcarovil
2/25/2018 8:21 pm
Dilly dilly!

raidergreg69 wrote:
Have a "tenure" rule. If someone like Pernbronze has been around MFN for some time, they can trade whatever picks they want. Players who have experience here know what they're giving up and don't need rules to protect them from themselves.

Players without that experience need to prove themselves somehow before we let them trade willy nilly.

Just my 2 cents

By tribewriter
2/25/2018 10:19 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:

Just my 2 cents

Unfortunately, even experienced owners will make bad moves, then abandon their teams, leaving a big mess for the next guy. I see this most often with experienced coaches who have taken on too many teams, then decide to cut back.

My first priority needs to be the health and well-being of 32 franchises, not the individual coaches, much as I love you guys.

I would say 13 to 5 appears to be a pretty solid mandate from the membership. The next step for me will be to write up language for a couple options, which we can then discuss.

By Pernbronze
2/25/2018 10:31 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:

Just my 2 cents

+1