The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

1988 Draft Preview/Chatter

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
3/05/2020 6:14 am
I haven't done a draft preview before, but I'll try one now. Keep in mind, it's 5:30 am and I'm just starting to look at everyone's teams, so I'm not spending much time analyzing things. I'm doing a quick roster check, looking at the # of picks each team has, and selecting a player that I would draft, if it were my team.

Pick 1.1 San Jose QB Robert Ament The SaberCats have 2 first round picks and many needs, one of those being QB. They already have a young QB, but Soza profiles more like a #2 than a starter so I think Ament is the pick here.

Pick 1.2 Boston CB Pedro Jones The Breakers need help everywhere but with only 4 DB's on the roster, I would select the top CB on the board.

Pick 1.3 Philadelphia WR Jose Rush The Bell have had trouble scoring points and they don't have another pick until Round 4, so they need an offensive playmaker. Philadelphia has 3 of 5 WR's on the brink of retirement so it seems a no brainer to select the #1 receiver on my board.

Pick 1.4 Pittsburgh QB Will Allison The Maulers could use an upgrade over current QB Nathan Bustamante, and I originally had Gabriel Flanagan penciled in here. I generally shy away from high volatility guys at this stage of the draft, which is why I originally leaned Flanagan, but upon further review, he's basically a statue. He has no speed, scrambling ability or avoid fumble so I would roll the dice with Allison. If his accuracy tanks due to high volatility, his 83 speed could translate to a change to RB.

Pick 1.5 Charlotte RT Fidel Castaneda The Hornets only have 6 OL on their roster, and with 9 total picks, they can certainly address that in later rounds and go a different way with this pick. I wouldn't be able to pass on Castaneda though, so that's who I'm going with.

Re: 1988 Draft Preview/Chatter

3/05/2020 6:56 am
Guess I'll just post these 5 at a time until the end.

Pick 1.6 Detroit WR Richard Carstens The Wheels need some wheels on offense, a playmaker to help them score some points. Carstens and his 93 speed fit the bill, and this pick will aggravate Memphis if they keep their pick.

Pick 1.7 Memphis MLB Raymundo Quinn The Showboats have put this pick on the trade block, looking to move down, so there is no telling what will happen with this pick. Looking at the Memphis roster, I have no clue what they need as we use vastly different player weights and all I see is a bunch of 50 something rated guys. I can't argue with their success though, and the one thing I know about Infinity is he loves speed. If Carstens is still available and IoT still has this pick, then I would bet it's him. Since I have him gone, then I'll give him a speedy LB.

Pick 1.8 Orlando DT Stephen Fontenot The Renegades seem a little thin on the DL and a couple of veterans are nearing retirement so I project them to pick a speedy DT, who could also play DE. He has more volatility than Anthony Fant but he also has more speed and acceleration and will have a minimum pass rush rating of 95.

Pick 1.9 Florida MLB Jason Richards The Blazers have just 4 LB on the roster so I have them selecting a low volatility LB to shore up that group.

Pick 1.10 San Antonio WLB (CB) Douglas Russell The Gunslingers only have 6 DB's on the roster and the top of the draft class is light on that so I have San Antonio selecting a "tweener". Russell was a LB at Clemson, but at 219 lbs, I would move him to a DB position

3/05/2020 7:31 am
Getting close to finding out how wrong I am...on to the next 5.

Pick 1.11 Southern California DT Anthony Fant The Sun could use help at DT since both on the current roster are 12 year vets so I have them selecting the big fella formerly of the Mean Machine.

Pick 1.12 Honolulu RDE Pete Swain The Hawaiians are quite old on the defensive line so I have them selecting a speedy DE from the California Penal League (same league that produced "Wild Thing" Ricky Vaughn from the movie Major League).

Pick 1.13 Chicago RB Theodore Turner The Blitz seem set at RB already but Max Howard is entering his 9th season, so I have them selecting a low volatility RB. If I'm wrong about this pick, then I'll say the Blitz took an OL.

Pick 1.14 Jacksonville WLB John Briggs The Bulls are another team that I think will take an OL if I'm wrong about a LB. They seem a little old/thin at LB so I think they go that way first.

Pick 1.15 Shreveport RB (WR)James Brown The Steamer could use a WR with just 4 on the roster with an average of just over 7 years in the league. Take out 2nd year pro Jose Moranto and the average goes up to 9. The grandson of "The Godfather of Soul" was a RB at LSU but Mel Kiper Jr projects Brown as a WR in the pros.

3/05/2020 7:56 am
Pick 1.16 Pittsburgh RT Alan Tacker This is the second pick for the maulers and I have them selecting a RT to protect the QB I have them taking earlier.

Pick 1.17 Washington CB (LB) Steve Rice The Federals don't have many needs but I think they would like to upgrade their front 7 defense with this pick. I would move Rice to LB, but he'll be a fine DB as well. If Rice does end up in Washington, I'll be interested to see if he "ups" his game twice a year against Pittsburgh. The former Pitt Panther will have been passed over twice by the hometown Maulers.

Pick 1.18 Baltimore TE James Brough The Stars could use a TE and if Brough is available, I expect him to go to Baltimore here. I could also see a DB taken here instead.

Pick 1.19 Denver MLB Jerry Hyder The Gold have just 4 LB on the roster so I expect them to add a 5th. Hyder is fast, strong, and volatile.

Pick 1.20 Oakland LG Stephen Locke The Invaders look like they could use a G to me so I have them selecting the former Horned Frog Locke.

3/05/2020 8:28 am
Zero for three so far, good thing I'm not trying to really be Mel Kiper.

Pick 1.21 Los Angeles CB Carlos Lebowitz Getting tired so write ups will be minimal.

Pick 1.22 Tampa Bay C (T) George Sipe I believe the Bandits would take an OL here and Sipe can play anywhere on the line at his size (301 lbs).

Pick 1.23 New Jersey FS Ignacio Inman This is the first of 2 first round picks for the Generals and we have several positions we'd like to fill in this draft. With 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, we're not locked onto a position group so I think I'd take Inman here but ask me again later.

Pick 1.24 Michigan CB William Cordova The Panthers could use a DB so I have them taking Cordova.

Pick 1.25 New Jersey WLB Jefferey Venable It's me again already. I would probably be looking LB here unless someone I like above happens to fall to me.

3/05/2020 8:49 am
Here are the last 7 wrong projections...

Pick 1.26 Arizona CB Norman Phillips

Pick 1.27 Jacksonville RT Demetrius Frazier

Pick 1.28 Washington WR Fredrick Whidden

Pick 1.29 Houston RB (WR) Tony Abbott

Pick 1.30 Boston QB Gabriel Flanagan

Pick 1.31 Washington TE Morris Paul

Pick 1.32 San Jose MLB Richard Alcantra

By RoyceR
3/05/2020 8:52 am
I'm guessing Ukrain will be really pumped when he logs in

3/05/2020 1:49 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
Getting close to finding out how wrong I am...on to the next 5.

Pick 1.11 Southern California DT Anthony Fant The Sun could use help at DT since both on the current roster are 12 year vets so I have them selecting the big fella formerly of the Mean Machine.

Pick 1.12 Honolulu RDE Pete Swain The Hawaiians are quite old on the defensive line so I have them selecting a speedy DE from the California Penal League (same league that produced "Wild Thing" Ricky Vaughn from the movie Major League).

Pick 1.13 Chicago RB Theodore Turner The Blitz seem set at RB already but Max Howard is entering his 9th season, so I have them selecting a low volatility RB. If I'm wrong about this pick, then I'll say the Blitz took an OL.

Pick 1.14 Jacksonville WLB John Briggs The Bulls are another team that I think will take an OL if I'm wrong about a LB. They seem a little old/thin at LB so I think they go that way first.

Pick 1.15 Shreveport RB (WR)James Brown The Steamer could use a WR with just 4 on the roster with an average of just over 7 years in the league. Take out 2nd year pro Jose Moranto and the average goes up to 9. The grandson of "The Godfather of Soul" was a RB at LSU but Mel Kiper Jr projects Brown as a WR in the pros.

Got one pick correct, 1.12 Pete Swain to Honolulu

By Hellbringer
3/06/2020 5:36 am
I would of taken Cordova if he fell to me

By Loftusranger
3/06/2020 2:14 pm
Prediction for 1.15 went to me at 2.15 so that sort of a correct prediction. Sort of.