The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Playoff Preview/Predictions

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
2/19/2020 4:24 pm
Wildcard Weekend

Houston Gamblers (13-3) @ Los Angeles Express (7-9)

Gamblers -10

Offensive Ranks: Houston 4th Los Angeles 18th
Defensive Ranks: Houston 8th Los Angeles 17th

Playoff History: Houston 11-2, 0-0 vs L.A. Los Angeles 7-5, 0-0 vs Houston

Injuries: Houston 2 questionable, 6 probable Los Angeles 1 doubtful, 2 questionable, 8 probable

Prediction: Houston 41 Los Angeles 13

Los Angeles comes into the game with 2 consecutive losses and all but 2 of their defensive linemen are banged up to some degree. Houston has a championship pedigree and are clearly the better team on paper. Dash has done a nice job taking over the Express and guiding them to the playoffs, but as banged up as they are, the Gamblers should be able to take care of business, even on the road.

Arizona Wranglers (11-5) @ Michigan Panthers (12-4)

Panthers -1

Offensive Ranks: Arizona 7th Michigan 11th
Defensive Ranks: Arizona 23rd Michigan 9th

Playoff History: Arizona 2-4, 0-0 vs Michigan Michigan 3-3, 0-0 vs Arizona

Injuries: Arizona 5 probable Michigan 1 Out, 1 doubtful, 4 questionable, 3 probable

Prediction: Arizona 27 Michigan 24

Both of these teams have had a good season, and Michigan was the giant slayer, stopping the long Memphis win streak. I think this game comes down to Michigan's beat up defensive line. 4 of 7 are questionable or worse, leaving the Panthers defense vulnerable up front.

Tampa Bay Bandits (11-5) @ Jacksonville Bulls (11-5)

Bulls -4

Offensive Ranks: Tampa Bay 13th Jacksonville 9th
Defensive Ranks: Tampa Bay 10th Jacksonville 22nd

Playoff History: Tampa Bay 6-6, 0-0 vs Jacksonville Jacksonville 4-7, 0-0 vs Tampa Bay

Injuries: Tampa Bay 2 questionable, 5 probable Jacksonville 2 doubtful 6 probable

Prediction: Jacksonville 34 Tampa Bay 31

Jacksonville swept Tampa Bay in the regular season, and I think the Bulls will win again. The Bandits have had a great season but the Bulls seem to have their number and I have my doubts about Tampa Bay QB Melvin Driggers. He's a turnover machine at times, and I'm curious how he'll bounce back a week after throwing 5 INT's.

New Orleans VooDoo (11-5) @ New Jersey Generals (10-6)

Generals -2

Offensive Ranks: New Orleans 12th New Jersey 3rd
Defensive Ranks New Orleans 7th New Jersey 4th

Playoff History New Orleans 7-8, 0-4 vs New Jersey New Jersey 19-9, 4-0 vs New Orleans

Injuries: New Orleans 1 doubtful, 7 probable New Jersey 1 questionable, 4 probable

Prediction: New Orleans 23 New Jersey 19

When you look at the numbers, the Generals should win, especially given that playoff ownership, but only 1 of those losses was by current owner Smirt. Not only is he good at finding an angle and pounding it, he's motivated even more so now I pointed out our team's playoff history. My Generals have had problems at times against the better teams in this league, and Ric Flair has a propensity to throw INT's. Throw in our recurring red zone inefficiency and an ex General across the sidelines in Magic Johnson, and this has the feel of a loss.
Last edited at 2/19/2020 4:26 pm

By Hellbringer
2/19/2020 6:31 pm
Arizona is going to be a tough game

By vcr5150
2/20/2020 10:37 am
Hellbringer wrote:
Arizona is going to be a tough game

Funny, I was looking at Michigan thinking the same thing. Both teams are pretty evenly matched - probably will come down to turnovers.

By Dash
2/20/2020 6:07 pm
LA is a little bit banged up but this is playoffs and all guys are a GO! Not very high expectations and haven't seen Houston in action personally. But we will do what we can do ala 2011 Seahawks lol

2/23/2020 7:42 pm
Divisional Round

Houston Gamblers (14-3) @ Portland Storm (13-3)

Point Spread Even

Offensive Ranks: Houston 4th Portland 2nd
Defensive Ranks: Houston 8th Portland 11th

Playoff History: Houston 12-2, 0-0 vs Portland Portland 4-6, 0-0 vs Houston

Injuries: Houston 1 questionable 5 probable Portland 2 questionable, 2 probable

Prediction: Houston 34 Portland 31 OT

We have 2 master game planners butting heads and only one can advance, so who to pick? There is no regular season game to look back on and the team stats are pretty close, so the deciding factor for me is playoff experience. Houston has made the playoffs six years in a row now, while this is Portland's first post season in 5 years.

Arizona Wranglers (12-5) @ Memphis Showboats (14-2)

Memphis -7

Offensive Ranks: Arizona 7th Memphis 1st
Defensive Ranks: Arizona 23rd Memphis 1st

Playoff History: Arizona 3-4, 0-0 vs Memphis Memphis 14-4, 0-0

Injuries: Arizona 1 questionable, 3 probable Memphis 1 questionable

Prediction: Memphis 37 Arizona 20

Arizona has had a strange, great season, spending most of the year in the basement of the West only to come through with a playoff berth after a late season rally. With their entire division winning at least 10 games each, the Wranglers have had a killer schedule so they aren't intimidated by the defending champion Showboats. Memphis is coming in with the top ranked offense and defense however, so it seems the Showboats should come out on top. The best case for an Arizona win would be if Memphis gets caught "looking ahead" to a possible family affair or a 3rd game against division rival Houston.

Jacksonville Bulls (12-5) @ Birmingham Stallions (13-3)

Birmingham -3

Offensive Ranks: Jacksonville 9th Birmingham 8th
Defensive Ranks: Jacksonville 22nd Birmingham 2nd

Playoff History: Jacksonville 5-7, 2-0 vs Birmingham Birmingham 3-8, 0-2 vs Jacksonville

Injuries: Jacksonville 3 questionable, 3 probable Birmingham 1 doubtful, 5 probable

Prediction: Birmingham 24 Jacksonville 13

This is the 9th playoffs in 14 years for Birmingham but post season success has mostly eluded them. Six of the previous eight post seasons were the one and done variety, twice at the hands of Jacksonville (1975, 1983). Will the Bulls ownage continue, or will the Stallions say enough is enough? The teams did not play in the regular season, so looking at the stats, I'd give Birmingham the edge, though a Bulls upset would not surprise me.
________________________________________________________________________________

New Jersey Generals (11-6) @ Washington Federals (13-3)

Washington -5

Offensive Ranks: New Jersey 3rd Washington 10th
Defensive Ranks: New Jersey 4th Washington 3rd

Playoff History: New Jersey 20-9, 0-0 vs Washington Washington 2-6, 0-0 vs New Jersey

Injuries: New Jersey 2 questionable, 2 probable Washington 2 probable

Prediction: Washington 34 New Jersey 17

Washington crushed New Jersey 41-10 in Week 13 and a similar result here wouldn't surprise me. What is surprising is our teams have never crossed paths in the playoffs. The Federals have 4 one and done playoff seasons out of 6 total while it's only happened to New Jersey twice in 12 seasons. None of that means anything, except maybe the beatdown in Week 13. New Jersey's stats look good but it should have an asterisk, as we really crushed the stats against some struggling teams but our defense got torched a few times as well.

Last edited at 2/23/2020 7:43 pm

2/25/2020 9:43 am
American Conference Championship

Houston Gamblers (15-3) @ Memphis Showboats (15-2)

Memphis -6

Offensive Ranks: Houston 4th Memphis 1st
Defensive Ranks: Houston 8th Memphis 1st

Playoff History: Houston 13-2, 3-0 vs Memphis, 3-0 World Bowl (IX, XI, XII)
Memphis 15-4, 0-3 vs Houston, 3-0 World Bowl (VI, VII, XIII)

Injuries: Houston 4 probable Memphis 1 questionable, 1 probable

Prediction: Memphis 33 Houston 27

These two teams have won the last 3 World Bowls and 6 of the last 8, plus they are division foes, so they are familiar with big games and each other. Houston may have the 3-0 playoff advantage but Memphis has won the last 4 meetings since the 1985 American Conference Championship Game. Houston has been riding their defense with 6 takeaways in each playoff game so far, and while I don't see a repeat of that, anything can happen when these two teams square off.

I'm picking Memphis because of their #1 ranked offense and defense although I expect Houston to hang with the Showboats all game. I'm looking forward to this game, especially since I know I don't have to face either one. I'd just lose to them in the World Bowl anyway.

Good luck to both of you tonight.

2/25/2020 10:18 am
National Conference Championship

Birmingham Stallions (14-3) @ Washington Federals (14-3)

Federals -2

Offensive Ranks: Birmingham 8th Washington 10th
Defensive Ranks: Birmingham 2nd Washington 3rd

Playoff History: Birmingham 4-8, 1-0 vs Washington, 0-1 World Bowl (XII)
Washington 3-6, 0-1 vs Birmingham, No World Bowl Appearances

Injuries: Birmingham 1 doubtful, 1 questionable, 3 probable Washington 1 Out, 1 probable

Prediction: Federals 26 Stallions 24

These two evenly matched teams were the top 2 seeds in the conference and they've been regular playoff participants the last 5-6 years. I don't see a lot of difference between the two so I'm going with the home team with a former All Pro kicker to nail one at the final gun. Washington is the only final 4 team to not have reached the World Bowl and they don't have to face their nemesis, Baltimore.

Good luck gentlemen.

By Cjfred68
2/25/2020 8:39 pm
Good Luck Infinity....break a leg and all that. I've won the turnover battle like 12-1 the last 2 playoff games to get here and will need another such game to advance. I'm sure Lambert will be the difference in the game even though he never did $@!+ for me in the playoffs!

By Infinity on Trial
2/25/2020 9:32 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
Good Luck Infinity....break a leg and all that. I've won the turnover battle like 12-1 the last 2 playoff games to get here and will need another such game to advance. I'm sure Lambert will be the difference in the game even though he never did $@!+ for me in the playoffs!

With my luck, Lambert's the one who will break a leg. I should have lost the first two games. Fingers crossed I can win ugly one more time.

By Cjfred68
2/25/2020 9:53 pm
Well combined our 2 teams have won 6 of the last 8 titles....3 each....so someone gets to go for number 4