The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Week 16 Playoff scenarios

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
10/03/2019 1:19 pm
Off work today so I'm gonna try to tackle the tiebreakers. Did the easy one first.

American Conference

#1 seed

If Memphis beats Denver they will be the #1 seed.

A Memphis loss and a Houston win would give the Gamblers the #1 seed based on a better conference record. They split their 2 games, have the same division record and would have the same record vs common opponents. The NFL uses conference record next while MFN might use scoring differential, I really don't know and have no answer from JDB. Either way, it's Houston.

#2 seed

Denver is locked in this spot even if they lose and Arizona wins. They split their games and Denver has a 5-1 division record against Arizona's 4-2.

#3 and #4 seeds

Right now it's Los Angeles at #3 and Chicago #4. They could flip flop but they both will host a wildcard game regardless.

#5 seed

Houston has this spot now, but they could be #1. If they are, Memphis will be #5.

#6 seed

Arizona will be traveling to either Los Angeles or Chicago for a wildcard game.

National Conference coming next.....it might take awhile, please be patient.

Re: Week 16 Playoff scenarios

10/03/2019 1:45 pm
Southeast Division

This division will get it's own post because it needs it.

Florida @ Jacksonville Jacksonville just needs to win and they win the division. If Florida wins, things could get complicated, which I'll explain in a minute.

Tampa Bay I have determined Tampa Bay can not win the division, yet their game could possibly affect which team does. The best the Bandits can hope for in the division is to be in a 3 way tie at 8-8. According to https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures a 3 way divisional tie is broken using the H2H records of the teams.

In order to have a 3 way 8-8 tie, Florida would have to win, so these records reflect that scenario.

Jacksonville 2-2 (currently 2-1, 1-1 vs Tampa and 1-0 vs Florida)
Florida 3-1 (currently 2-1, 2-0 vs Tampa and 0-1 vs Jax)
Tampa Bay 1-3 (1-1 vs Jax, 0-2 vs Florida)

If Florida and Tampa Win Florida would be Southeast Division champs

If Florida wins and Tampa loses We have to go back to the drawing board as 2 team tiebreakers are different from 3 team ones.

A Florida win makes both them and Jacksonville 8-8 with division records of 4-2 so the 3rd step is Common opponents, though MFN may use scoring differential. That matters too, and I wish I had a concrete answer, but like I said above, I don't.

If common opponents Jacksonville wins tiebreaker 4-4 to 2-6

If scoring differential Florida wins this tiebreaker

10/03/2019 1:58 pm
Wild Card Scenarios

The Baltimore/Washington loser will be the #5 seed. If they tie, Washington will be #5.

If Georgia wins, they will be 9-7 and the #6 seed.

If they lose, we might break MFN as we could possibly have a 4 way tie. The first step in a multiple team wildcard tie is to eliminate all but 1 team per division. This means that Tampa's best scenario is to have Jacksonville beat Florida, making them 9-7 and 7-9 respectively, so their 8-8 stands alone. If tied with either, Tampa is eliminated.

Using that same logic for Georgia/New Orleans, the Force better win. They split their games but the VooDoo have a better division record so if they're both 8-8, Georgia is eliminated.

Breaking this down like that, we now have to figure out tiebreakers between New Orleans and Florida, New Orleans and Jacksonville and New Orleans vs Tampa Bay.

It's possible that the (NY) Stars could be 8-8 if they beat New Orleans, so I also need to look at tiebreakers involving NY vs Fla, Orl, and TB respectively.

Proofreading and I noticed I also have to figure tiebreakers for Georgia vs the 3 Florida teams and NY.

Gonna do all that now.
Last edited at 10/03/2019 2:00 pm

By hectorg93
10/03/2019 2:30 pm
could you imagine if this were to happen in real life, it would be awesome

10/03/2019 2:46 pm
Wildcard scenarios could truly be wild or it could be boring, it's all up to Georgia.

Georgia @ Shreveport If Georgia wins, it's pretty simple as they would be #6 seed and travel to Piscataway for a date with New Jersey.

A Georgia loss opens the door for a whole host of teams.

Tampa Bay Bandits From reading the Southeast Division scenarios, it may seem like Tampa is dead, but not so fast. If Tampa beats Philadelphia, they would need a Jacksonville win and a Georgia loss to make the playoffs.

Tampa wins tiebreakers over Georgia (conference record), New Orleans (H2H), and (NY) Stars (H2H). Tampa would also win in a 3 way tie with Georgia and (NY).

Jacksonville or Florida One of these teams will win the division, and if Florida wins, I really don't know who wins the division.

Jacksonville wins tiebreakers over Georgia and New Orleans (Conf. Rec.) but lost to (NY) Stars head to head.

Florida wins tiebreakers over Georgia and new Orleans (CR) and they beat (NY) Stars H2H

Jacksonville and Florida both win a 3 way tie with Georgia and (NY)

New Orleans @ (NY) Stars The winner of this game will need lots of help. Whomever comes out on top to finish 8-8 also needs a Georgia loss, Florida loss and a Jacksonville loss.

By AlexanDragon
10/03/2019 5:09 pm
So I can rest injured starters against a top team in the league?

10/03/2019 5:23 pm
AlexanDragon wrote:
So I can rest injured starters against a top team in the league?

Yes, if you and Arizona are both 12-4, your 5-1 division record gives you the division over Arizona and their 4-2 division record. You have a BYE though, and I don't know how much conditioning, if any, you'd lose by having starters not play for 2 weeks.

10/03/2019 5:32 pm
However this all shakes out tonight, the playoffs are gonna be crazy. Whomever wins World Bowl XII will have really earned it as the playoffs are a minefield of talented GM's. Some might even say this title is worth 3x an average title lmao.

By AlexanDragon
10/03/2019 8:09 pm
You know I'm not resting anyone lol ! I wanna get some kind of momentum coming in the playoff after a bad game in week 15

10/03/2019 8:13 pm
AlexanDragon wrote:
You know I'm not resting anyone lol ! I wanna get some kind of momentum coming in the playoff after a bad game in week 15

I'm sure CJ and Houston appreciate that. There is no right or wrong answer, each owner must do what they feel is right for their team.

Personally I'm resting some people but my game has zero playoff implications.