The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

One Coach, Same League, Two Teams?

By tribewriter
7/21/2019 3:04 pm
I have been considering this issue recently and wanted to ask some of the great minds we have among our coaches just what they think.

Is there anything wrong with somebody coaching two teams in the same league?

Obviously, you don't want somebody being able to trade from one team to another. But, outside of trading, is there any competitive advantage to be gained? The only thing I can think of is being able to scout multiple opponents in the same week, which we really should be able to do anyway.

Is there any other reason why you should not be able to coach multiple teams in the same league?

Re: One Coach, Same League, Two Teams?

By shavar
7/21/2019 5:03 pm
It makes unfair advantage .. lets say in same division or just same conference .. when it comes to playoff race .. if they played against each other could throw the game so his highest seeded team .. or the one needing a win ..then the before mentioned trades .. also during draft .. if there was a guy he wanted it could be worked out between the two teams .. just so many issues this could cause.I would be against if asked .. but hey who am I .. just some old guy trying to figure this place put.

By tribewriter
7/21/2019 5:35 pm
See, you thought of two scenarios I had not considered. That is why I ask in forums where I am pretty sure people are smarter than me.

In the recent past, in another league, the same guy was (allegedly) discovered to be running two teams using different IDs. The commissioner kicked him out of that league. But, in another league, the commissioner allowed him to continue doing so. I wondered if that meant there is not a clear consensus on this issue. So I thought I would ask and see if there is.

By AlexanDragon
7/21/2019 8:34 pm
It could also affect free agent targetting. Making a "fake offer" on purpose to scare everyone else and sign cheaper with bigger bonus on the other team.

By Cjfred68
7/22/2019 7:02 am
I dont allow it in leagues I admin because I simply dont see how you fully concentrate and dedicate yourself to multiple teams competing to win.

In free agency if both teams could use the same player...which team do you offer the better contract with?

If they play each other...then what?

On the waiver wire which team do you use to put in a claim?

If one team is on the verge of the playoffs and the other is out of the playoffs, does the team out of the playoffs play games against opponents that would help his other team with high fatigue settings to ensure his best players remain on the field with no regard for injuries?

If each team were in different conferences, would they not offer trades to teams that impact each others teams? For instance, an NFC EAST team wouldnt offer to trade a star player for draft picks to a team in the AFC WEST if his 2nd team were in that divison even though it's the best option for the NFC team.

Trades can be monitored and voided and simply banned for that owner between his 2 teams but my biggest concern is for owners that have multiple teams with zero transparency about the fact.

I'm in a league where the same person owns 2 teams and even though everyone was made aware of the fact, he continues to own both teams. The bizarre part is when he posts something as the owner of one team and either likes it or comments as the owner of the 2nd team. It's my understanding that owner use to be in this league and someone like that you dont want with one team let alone two in your league.

It's my opinion, you cant fully compete to win if you own multiple teams in the same league. You would eventually favor one over the other. There are plenty of teams available in a wide variety of leagues to own where nobody should have to own multiple teams in the same league and have any of these conflicts.

Just my own personal opinions

By tribewriter
7/22/2019 7:16 am
I agree with nearly everything Cjfred is saying here. The only reasons I even considered this issue were:

(1) The presence of leagues where the commissioners allow it.
(2) The number of vacancies and the number of dying leagues across MFN.

I thought maybe owners who are truly invested in their leagues could save them by picking up a second team.
Last edited at 7/22/2019 7:16 am

By Pernbronze
7/22/2019 10:44 am
I think it would depend on the owner. Obviously trading is banned or if allowed it'd have to be closely monitored. If for example tribe or CJ were to do it I'd have no problem. However if someone like booger did it then I'd have a problem. I don't see it as a black and white issue.

By vcr5150
7/22/2019 2:22 pm
Others have covered the reasons why it wouldn't work very well.

The only reason "for" would be that it can't be worse than what the AI does to teams. And in that case, the 2 teams should be in different conferences.

Thinking out loud: I would be intrigued with a league where you HAVE to run 2 teams - but in different conferences. That would be an interesting wrinkle.

By Mcarovil
7/24/2019 7:34 am
If your goal is to win a championship why would you even want to have two teams?

By Pernbronze
7/24/2019 11:05 am
Mcarovil wrote:
If your goal is to win a championship why would you even want to have two teams?

Double your odds. Same reason many are in multiple leagues.