The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1984 Season, Week 5 Discussion

By tribewriter
7/02/2019 8:25 pm
* San Jose SaberCats WLB William McMartin intercepted four passes during his team's 20-17 overtime loss to the Oklahoma Outlaws. McMartin tied the league record for pickoffs in a single game, shared by Troy Irwin of Los Angeles and Gordon Wong of Jacksonville. Oklahoma RDE Albert Cruz recovered a San Jose fumble at the 39 with 10 seconds remaining in OT, and Chris Farrel kicked a 56-yard field goal to end the game.
* You rarely see a fullback mentioned in the MFN weekly player awards, but Washington's Tom Torres was up there this week. Torres had 77 rushing yards and a TD, 14 receiving yards, 16 pass blocks and 16 run blocks during his team's 36-7 romp past the San Antonio Gunslingers. The Federals remained in a three-way tie atop the Atlantic Division with Pittsburgh and Charlotte at 4-1.
* Shreveport CB Carl Goss had 10 tackles and an interception as the Steamer nipped the Baltimore Stars, 13-12. The Stars nearly overcame a 13-3 fourth quarter deficit, driving from their 14 to the Washington 34 during the final 2 minutes, but Fred Boyce's 52-yard field goal attempt at the final gun sailed wide right.
* The Honolulu Hawaiians (3-2) are back on top of the Pacific Division after a 17-13 win over the Los Angeles Express, thanks to Mark Moody's 69-yard TD reception from David McBroom with 3 1/2 minutes to play.
* The Denver Gold and Memphis Showboats are the only undefeated teams remaining after five weeks. Denver handed Portland its fifth consecutive loss, 24-12, and the Showboats outlasted Pittsburgh, 13-10, on a James Ewing field goal with 1:46 remaining.
* The Cleveland Thunderbolts handed Chicago its first loss, 9-3, but the Blitz (4-1) still lead the Midwest Division by a game.
* It seems like just last week that Detroit was trying to avoid an 0-3 start for the first time in franchise history. Well, fast-forward to a three-game win streak for the Wheels that now includes a 10-9 victory over defending league champion New Jersey. Michael Temples threw a 66-yard TD pass to Zachary Powell in the fourth quarter for the game's only touchdown and the Detroit defense held the Generals scoreless on all eight of their second-half possessions.
* New Jersey's loss allowed the New York Stars to climb into a first-place tie atop the East Division after the Stars won, 10-7, over the Orlando Renegades via Edward Swofford's TD pass to Justin Holley with 1:57 to go.
* The New Orleans VooDoo (4-1) maintained their South Division lead with a 23-20 overtime triumph over the Florida Blazers. The Blazers turned up their nose at playing for a tie in OT and went for it on fourth-and-1 from their 34. New Orleans MLB Anthony Munoz knocked down the pass and the Blazers turned the ball over on downs. Five plays later, Jordan Fuller booted the game-winning 40-yard field goal.

Last edited at 7/03/2019 7:57 am

By Kababmaster
7/03/2019 1:43 am
I just got out of a fantastic battle !!!!! That was an intense game. WOW

By Pernbronze
7/03/2019 4:01 am
Gg gold, looks like my season is a wash already.

By jabillups85
7/03/2019 9:03 am
The Midwest division is going to be a battle all season!!

By greyghost1225
7/03/2019 9:17 am
gg Stallions, a pretty close battle that could have went either way to the final quarter. You are still one of the teams to beat. This was a good gauge for us.

By Duval
7/03/2019 9:44 am
GG Shrevport, I knew it had to be something with my rules, I'm glad I watched the game.

By trslick
7/03/2019 11:03 am
We got lucky mwd, another good game between us!

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
7/03/2019 2:19 pm
GG Detroit, still can't beat you in the regular season in this league. James Lockette was out with injury so he wasn't able to sack your QB in the end zone to win this game.

I guess we gotta do things the hard way in New Jersey, we're 5th in offense, 2nd in defense and have 2 losses already and probably should have had a 3rd.

By hectorg93
7/03/2019 3:57 pm
GG Bandits Just saw Driggers attributes and this dude is gonna be a problem when he hits his full potential.

Also want to show some love to some players first off Gordon Wong, this dude is currently on his fourth season with us and in the first game of the year he became the all-time leader in interceptions for us. He currently is leading the league in interceptions with 9 which matches his career total which he achieved last year and we still have 11 games to go which he will aim to not only break his on personal best but also the all-time record. While Wong is a great corner himself this is a team game and I got to show some love also to our front four. Which I have invested the past 3 first round picks in to not only get pressure so our corners aren't running around all day but they are also great at stuffing the run. Hill , Babb, and rookie Jose Davalos have had a great mentor up front in Raphael Alvarez who has been manning that line for 11 years now. Last but not least a shout out to the Showboats own William Guerro I love that dude is still kicking *** in this league I'm trying to replace his productivity with another rookie in Dennis Burt who is doing great but Guerro was a swiss army knife that will be hard to replace but hopefully Burt can.

By Wolveraider
7/03/2019 7:35 pm
Good game gg/Force....regardless of what phase of rebuild your teams are in, I always feel like my team has accomplished a big win if we can pull one off against one of your teams.

On a side note...I was ready to put a hit out on your punter. lol