League Forums

Main - Rivalries

1974 Season

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
2/18/2023 6:21 am
With our 31st season about to get underway, I thought it would be interesting to take a look back at 30 seasons of USFL/WFL football. What better place to start then the very beginning. Here is the 1974 season in review.

First thing you might notice are the Conference Banners stayed the same, reflecting our most recent World Bowl but these are in fact the 1974 standings. We currently have 8 owners who also played in 1974, 6 of those 8 still own their original teams. Those original six are trslick/Honolulu, CrimsonWolfZ/Chicago, Loftusranger/Shreveport, UKRAIN/Charlotte, pdoug20/Boston and me with New Jersey. The other 2 who were there in the beginning are Smirt211 with Arizona and Otterpop with Pittsburgh. Mcarovil of Tampa Bay nearly made it 30 seasons with the Bandits but he finally had enough of MFN, leaving all his teams on the same day without a word.

For those of you not familiar with our history, this league was started by tribewriter and he would take over teams without an owner, which is why you also see tribewriter02 for Orlando.

Statistical Leaders

Passing Yards 5,910 Agustin Crook, Denver
Passing TDs 53 Vincent Goode, New Orleans
Rushing Yards 2,056 Bruce Fine, Chicago
Rushing TDs 15 Bruce Fine, Chicago and John Murray, Pittsburgh
Receptions, Receiving Yards, Rec. TDs 120/2,113/23 Thomas Canale, New Orleans (Triple Crown)

Kickoff Return TDs, League 71 (3 with 4, 10 with 3, 9 with 2, and 11 with 1)
Kickoff Return TDs, Individual 4 Thomas Dayton, Southern California; Willie Clemente, Jacksonville; John Andrade, Honolulu

All of those kick return TDs and we had just 1 punt return TD all of 1974.

Punt Return TD 1 Bruno Fredericks, New York

Total FGs 49 Timothy Riley, Boston
50+ FGs 15 Timothy Riley, Boston

Tackles 138 Allen Herrera, Oklahoma
Sacks 31 Ryan Moore, Georgia
INT's 10 Edward Alston, Oakland; Leon Crisman, San Antonio

Here are your team stat leaders...

Rather than go through each post season game, I'll just post a screenshot of the results. Our original commish, tribewriter capped off a 15-1 regular season by averaging over 48 points per playoff game and defeating the Chicago Blitz in decisive fashion 42-17 to win the first ever World Bowl.