League Forums

Main - Off-Topic

Gruden Getting Cancelled?

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
10/09/2021 3:05 pm
In case you haven't heard, a 10 year old racist email sent by Jon Gruden, aka Chucky, was just made public. It seems as if someone in the NFL wants to cancel Chucky.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/09/leak-of-jon-gruden-email-renews-questions-regarding-lack-of-transparency-in-wft-investigation/

At the time, Chucky was working for ESPN, doing Monday Night Football, and some think this means he shouldn't be fired by the Raiders.

I haven't been Chucky's biggest supporter, in fact I'm on record with social media posts that I didn't want Gruden back in the first place. I thought the team was going the right direction under DelRio and McKenzie. I told a coworker the other day, before this story broke that the only way Gruden ever gets fired is if he pulls some kind of Urban Meyer ****. Well, here we are.

I'm curious where this goes, but I still don't think Mark Davis willingly fires Chucky, he has too big of a man crush on him. If Gruden does get fired, it's likely because the NFL pressured Davis into doing it.

Re: Gruden Getting Cancelled?

10/12/2021 1:07 pm
Well that escalated quickly. It's a sad day for Raider Nation, as Gruden just made the world forget all the good the franchise has done. They were the first to hire a black head coach and the first with a female executive. The Raiders always took other team's rejects and often turned them into better football players because the only thing that mattered to Al Davis was winning. Mr. Davis didn't care what color your skin was, he just wanted to win. Give your best on Sundays and have a commitment to excellence.

The Raiders downfall started in Mr. Davis' final years, as senility crept into some of his football decisions. Then he died and his idiot son took over. Mark Davis might have a Lloyd Christmas haircut but he reminds me more of Tommy Boy, except the hollywood part where Chris Farley saves the company hasn't happened yet.

I didn't want Gruden to come back in the first place because I felt he was too far removed from coaching to be effective, plus I always thought he was overrated. Al Davis traded Gruden away once, perhaps he knew Gruden was really Archie Bunker (All In The Family reference, a racist 70's TV show)? I bet he turned over in his grave this weekend, and I wish he could come back from the dead and slap some sense into Mark.

No question this was intentional. 650,000 emails found investigating Washington and the only thing we know is Chucky is a bigot. Gruden was the target, he pissed off the wrong person/people apparently.

By Beercloud
10/20/2021 12:09 pm
Yes it did escalate quickly. Locker room talk will be strictly censored in this communistic world. lol

10/20/2021 12:20 pm
This story is just beginning imo. The NFL clearly doesn't want the emails going public and whoever has access to them now is weaponizing them. Who else will get cancelled?

By vcr5150
10/20/2021 2:24 pm
This might be a little too "conspiracy theory-ish" for even myself - but it does pass the Occam's Razor theory (often the simplest explanation is the best one.)

Out of 650K+ emails in the Washington Football Team probe, the only person to receive any kind of consequence is a coach of another organization - that was not a focus of the investigation. Daniel Snyder has bungled his ownership of Washington for years and years. Yet, the investigation about the work environment he fostered did not turn up anything. I remember at the outset, a lot of NFL reporters speculated that he may be forced to give up ownership. Instead he has gotten through without any consequence at all.

Makes you wonder if he has anything over the NFL, and if he's threatened to use it. I can't help but believe there is a bunch of emails/communications that the rest of the NFL wouldn't want to be public knowledge.

10/20/2021 2:46 pm
An article I read today reminded me it's not Goodell at the top of the food chain, rather the 32 owners. 31, since Green Bay is publicly owned. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/20/demaurice-smith-the-owners-not-roger-goodell-will-make-the-decision-on-wft-transparency/

Snyder is obviously one of the owners, and despite being despicable, he has a lot of money, and apparently influence. Some think Snyder leaked the Gruden emails.

I'm positive that Snyder is not the only snake in the grass among the 31 owners, and the Billionaire Boys Club tends to get what they want. I for one am very curious where this all leads to.