League Forums

Main - Off-Topic

So we had a bomb scare tonight...

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
3/14/2020 5:16 am
My store is in the same shopping center/strip mall as Dot's Market and tonight we had the Bomb Squad in our parking lot. Here is a link to the news story https://dayton247now.com/news/local/police-investigating-suspicious-package-at-dots-market

That news story is devoid of details, but basically they found a pipe bomb in the dude's truck that had an outstanding warrant. They cordoned off the front parking lot, but let us stay open for delivery only, so long as we used the back entrance. The Dayton/Kettering line goes through the parking lot and we're actually in Kettering, but they don't have a Bomb Squad.

It took awhile for the Dayton Bomb Squad to arrive, but once they did, it was just like you see on TV/movies. The little robot grabbed the package and put it in the tube thing. They then swept the parking lot with a wand, presumably checking for more explosives, of which they found no more and off they went to detonate it somewhere.

Cousin Vinny's...it's not just a job, it's an adventure.

Re: So we had a bomb scare tonight...

By dfisherman
3/14/2020 7:38 am
Crazy man, glad you are ok and it ended well

By RoyceR
3/14/2020 7:50 am
Now that you know your safe I bet that was neat to watch

3/14/2020 8:06 am
I didn't get to watch much, I was on the road making deliveries. I'm just glad they didn't shut us down completely, then we would have had to run our store out of Wayne Ave. That would normally be a disaster but due to the coronavirus, UD sent the students off campus. I still would have had to deliver to downtown and the 'hood, which I don't normally.

By RoyceR
3/14/2020 9:02 am
Watching barstool sports it looked like Dayton students had a massive party in the streets.

3/14/2020 3:27 pm
RoyceR wrote:
Watching barstool sports it looked like Dayton students had a massive party in the streets.

They do that every year, usually in April and/or St. Patrick's Day. UD is a Catholic university and those kids can drink. They're why the company I work for got started and expanded to how ever many stores we have now.

My first year at CV, I had a pumpkin thrown at my car in the UD Ghetto, that's what they call the student housing area, The Ghetto. Also had a beer bottle thrown at my car, nothing broke but the bottle. That's why I'm glad when we split into 2 stores 10+ years ago, I stayed at my store and avoided UD. As crazy as my store gets, the UD store gets it much worse when students are in town. Losing the First Four is gonna cost the company money.