League Forums

Main - League Help

Re: How to Effectively use Rules

By Danny-G96
11/20/2018 3:38 pm
I'm more just interested because I've never used rules in any of the leagues before. Most leagues I've been in my team is competitive and will change depending on the roster and coaching changes I make. I'm just tired of being a doormat in this league. Perennially going 3-13 or the rare magical season where I go 5-11.

By greyghost1225
11/20/2018 4:24 pm
Danny-G96 wrote:
I'm more just interested because I've never used rules in any of the leagues before. Most leagues I've been in my team is competitive and will change depending on the roster and coaching changes I make. I'm just tired of being a doormat in this league. Perennially going 3-13 or the rare magical season where I go 5-11.

One of the great things about MFN is people can build their teams how they like. I recommend doing whatever makes it fun for you. Personally I put more thought into player weights and play selection than most owners. The thought process not to get caught up in is one player will fix everything. The teams that are successful are exactly that TEAMS. For example a QB will complete more passes if he is not under pressure(OL) and has receivers that can get open and catch the ball. There are alot of great owners in this league and have proven methods and all are unique.

By Pernbronze
11/20/2018 7:41 pm
greyghost1225 wrote:
Danny-G96 wrote:

One of the great things about MFN is people can build their teams how they like. I recommend doing whatever makes it fun for you. Personally I put more thought into player weights and play selection than most owners. The thought process not to get caught up in is one player will fix everything. The teams that are successful are exactly that TEAMS. For example a QB will complete more passes if he is not under pressure(OL) and has receivers that can get open and catch the ball. There are alot of great owners in this league and have proven methods and all are unique.

I've won 20 or so lcs and that is my approach. My rules plan against the ai but my focus is well rounded, I usually tend to have my leagues highest floors as in capable backups. I also redo my game plan every single season from scratch to ensure it is perfect for my team even if I change only one player. While you won't see one player make or break your roster one seemingly small change to your game plan can pay vast dividends. But alas 50% of success in this game is listen to the other owners complain and plug the current versions holes. They usually give you a general idea where to make tweaks. This league is special. It houses the strongest owner talent in mfn mostly thanks to tribewriters efforts, so struggling here is to be expected. Don't get discouraged. I commend you for asking questions, I only wish I were more qualified to answer. If you can make the playoffs here you can win a lc in many other leagues.

By AlexanDragon
11/20/2018 8:08 pm
Pernbronze wrote:
If you can make the playoffs here you can win a lc in many other leagues.

Look à me... Not have done the playoffs here in 5 seasons and im casually going 16-0 in other leagues, while not gameplanning and using only 2 obvious simple as **** rules lol

SO NOOB IT TOOK ME 15 TRIES TO GET THIS PERNBRONZE QUOTE WORKING WITH BOLD !!!
Last edited at 11/20/2018 8:12 pm

By Pernbronze
11/21/2018 1:02 am
AlexanDragon wrote:
Pernbronze wrote:
If you can make the playoffs here you can win a lc in many other leagues.

Look à me... Not have done the playoffs here in 5 seasons and im casually going 16-0 in other leagues, while not gameplanning and using only 2 obvious simple as **** rules lol

SO NOOB IT TOOK ME 15 TRIES TO GET THIS PERNBRONZE QUOTE WORKING WITH BOLD !!!

It's your subconscious not wanting to give your rival credit lol.

By PrivateSnowflake
11/21/2018 11:42 am
Keep it simple starting out, Danny. Nickle/Dime vs passing sets (005, 104, 014), Normal vs the rest. Maybe a rule when to go for it on 4th down, a Pass Key for 005 and 014, maybe a prevent defense rule. That should get you started in the right direction and beating casual owners.

Greyghost had it right when he said get the player weights correct. Can't build a good team with the wrong parts.

Pernbronze started to get into the offensive and defensive playbook, which is crucial because some plays work and some just don't in MFN.

It can be daunting, but you really, really need to take some time and search the forum for "rules", "player weights", and "gameplan". Sethrick has a ton of great advice on all three to help get you started (and give you an advantage over probably, 80% of owners). You will have to make time to do this, but it's so worth it.

Myself, I use less than a dozen rules, but I really work on the offensive and defensive gameplans: when and where to use runs, short, medium, long passes, down and distance, and keeping my opponents from keying on any tendencies.

I use basic rules and a basic gameplan to get through the regular season, but I'll make specific rules and gameplans for each opponent once the playoffs start.

By setherick
12/15/2018 12:15 pm
Rules are hard. As people said above, I would learn how to use the matrix effectively first before worrying about rules. Rules are for situational football, and until you learn what your team does is the general downs (1st and 2nd down). It's hard to understand what you need for the situational downs (3rd down or backed up against your end zone, etc.).

The other thing to keep in mind is that rules are evaluated as first as true, which means you need to put your most specific rules first in the order.