League Forums

Main - League Help

Gameplanning

By Booger926
1/09/2018 6:02 am
When I Gameplan an opponent, I first look at their pass attempts per game stats (PAG) and rushes per game stats (RAG). I then add them together to get their average offense plays called(OPC). I then divide my opponent's PAG by their OPC to get their offensive play style (OPS) - X% Pass Oriented and Y% Run Oriented. For instance, my next Opponent passes 72% of the time and runs 28% of the time. So one would think I should naturally key on the passing part of their offense with my defense.

I then go to my Defensive Gameplan and adjust my Run/Pass Sliders accordingly. How I do this is first I get their OPS and keep a note on the side. I then adjust all three sliders for all field positions, downs, and distances to 33 (all Equal Weighted). I then look at their play calling tendencies for 32 games, current season games, half of the season games played(rounding up), past 3 games and finally last game played, and adjust their OPS accordingly. I then adjust their OPC according to their overall Pass/Run Tendency.

For instance, my next OPP has called 37% Run/ 63% Pass on First Down and Medium when within their 0 - 25 yard line for their past 32 games, yet has Run 56% of the time in the same field position in the last game. So his Run/Pass sliders would read, after his OPC, 36 Run, 46 Pass, and 17 Neutral. But after adding his OPS, his sliders change to 24 Run, 62 Pass, and 15 Neutral. I am estimating that is the best way to attack his OPS. I do this meticulously for every down, distance and field position, so its not like do one and copy to all, for everyone's tendency changes.

I then scout their Offense and Defense. I then choose their top 5 plays used for the past 32 games based on Times Call, Average Yardage, and Familiarity. If there is more than 5 at that time, I begin eliminating by 1 in each lowest category until I have the amount I want. I feel this gives me the best advantage to their play calling. I then add the remaining 5 plays to my scouting by using the Top Plays Times Called by my OPP for the past 3 games.

I then move to my play calling for OFF and DEF. I then select plays that fit my coaching style according to my playbook. For instance, in my playbook I have 167 offensive plays consisting of 32% Run (16% Inside and 17% Outside), and 68% Pass (29% Short, 25% Medium, and 16% Long) spread over 10 Offensive Personnel Formations (OPF). I then pick plays accordingly.... 6 Inside, 6 Outside, 11 Short, 10 Medium, and 6 Long.... to APC, TCG, and then Familiarity. I then adjust my Personnel Sliders according to plays selected. I then look at "View Plays" to see the plays and their weights for my current settings in the given situation. I then count my plays I am viewing to see if I have a full playbook. If I like what I see, I then copy the personnel to downs, distance, and field position....adjusting accordingly to the situation and players available due to injuries. For instance, on 3rd and very long, I will go more to Passing Personnel and less to Running Personnel.

I then Adjust my Gameplan to how I want to play the game. Since I have a 32R/68P Style, I try to play to my strengths, but knowing that a Coach also is able to see my tendencies, I try to be different by playing towards the run more just to possibly throw them off their game plan.

I then do the same thing for my Defense Gameplan and Personnel.

So as one can see, I spend a lot of time preparing for my next game even though I have studied the game, forums providing assistance, and some basic coaching styles and decisions. I have made spread sheets for my own private usage consisting of Stats for plays on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs depending on personnel used at the time according to field position. I have studied a spreadsheet I designed that helps me make good decisions when drafting players. I have studied my OPP's Roster and went to overrides to create mismatches in my favor. I have made Rules that appear to somewhat help at times, but because I am not comfortable with the process, I tend to shy away from them

And I continue to lose and get blown out.

The feeling of frustration I have is depressing considering how much time I spend preparing for each game. I think it would be better to just press the "Load Recommend" Gameplan and hope for the best while preparing for the worst.

Re: Gameplanning

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/09/2018 9:27 am
Just my 2 cents but I think you need to simplify your gameplan. I set my sliders at the beginning of the season, then game to game I only change my rule settings. With too many teams and a full time job, I had to find a way to make changing things simple.

My results in this league this season aren't great but I use the same principles for all of my teams, and several are championship contenders.

I have a set of defensive rules to cover the following: Nickel/Dime/Quarter or just Dime/Quarter vs the 4/5WR sets, with a separate set of rules just for the red zone. A red zone set vs the other 6 non goal line formations, and a goal line defense for anytime they run goal line offense.

That covers all GL and 4/5 WR sets. For the other 6 formations, they get distributed amongst my other rules. I lump 1st and 2nd down together, and have a normal/nickel run set, normal/nickel pass set, and a normal/nickel mix. For 3rd down, I break it down between short, medium and long.

The defensive plays I use rarely change but their usage rate does, because it's based on opponent's tendencies.

I hope I explained myself well enough, about to nod off at my desk. I'll check this later today after some zzz's.

By tribewriter
1/09/2018 5:00 pm
I don't think there is any big flaw in your gameplanning process. You just need better players, and you're getting there.
You currently have 17 players under 60 overall (my weights). The NY Stars, the worst team in the league until this season (maybe still), only have 12. But your bad players are on their way out.
Look how much some of your young players have improved this year. You have 10 players whose overall has climbed at least 5 points in 10 games and you had a pretty solid draft.
It's a process. Don't try to cheat the process with wild-haired high-volatility quick fixes (see Juan Bonnett) and the Gamblers will be fine.
Just my two cents. Others may disagree.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/09/2018 5:31 pm
Here is 1 of my rules. I have concrete rules for 4 and 5 WR sets which don't change, and a goal line defense rule. The rest of my rules cover the other 6 offensive formations, which are edited for each game.

I rarely use dime packages vs 3 WR sets or less on 1st and 2nd down but I do have rules deactivated for the rare times I do. This rule is my Normal/Nickel Mix for 1st and 2nd down.

I chart opponent plays like this:

1-1-3 0-13-28-26-4 13/58 Pass ND
1-2-2 0-0-0-0-5 0/5 Pass ND
etc

The formation is on the left, followed by the # of outside runs, inside runs, short, medium, long pass. The 13/58 is a 13 run 58 pass ratio, Pass refers to the rule set I plug the formation into, in this case it goes in Normal/Nickel Pass key and the ND refers to my 3rd and medium package, Nickel Dime in this case.

So a unique GP for me is to chart the plays of just 7 formations, as the 4/5 WR sets are always pass and the rules don't change. It takes just a few minutes to chart plays, and a few minutes editing my rules.

Down: First Down, Second Down
Distance: 0 - 30 To Go
Personnel: 1RB/2TE/2WR, 2RB/2TE/1WR, 3RB/1TE/1WR
Quarter: First Quarter, Second Quarter, Third Quarter, Fourth Quarter, Overtime
Time: 15:00 - 0:00
Score: Down 29+ - Up 29+

Personnel: Goal Line: 0%, Normal Defensive Backfield: 50%, Nickel: 50%, Dime: 0%, Quarter: 0%
Secondary: 1-Deep Man: 28%, 2-Deep Man: 6%, 3-Deep Zone: 11%, 4-Deep Zone: 0%, Corner Blitz: 17%, Safety Blitz: 22%, 2-Deep Zone: 0%, Man: 17%, 3-Deep Man: 0%, 4-Deep Man: 0%
Linebackers: Zone: 6%, Blitz 1: 39%, Blitz 2: 28%, Blitz 2+: 0%, Man: 28%, Zone In: 0%
Run/Pass: Run: 53%, Pass: 48%, Neutral: 0%
Last edited at 1/09/2018 5:32 pm

By Mcarovil
1/11/2018 8:51 pm
Every owner is different. Some have 30 rules. Others have 1 or 2. RG explained it through enough above. We all know the basics. Run plays out of passing formations. Need to address that. Also need to address overuse when your opponent passes out of the same or limited formations. 2-4 basic rules can help with this or you can get into the weeds. Personally I would start with a relative wide ranging rule and slowly continue to make adjustments as you see fit. There goes the championship secret. D’oh!

By eyeballll
1/11/2018 10:24 pm
Offensively, I use 4 rules in all my leagues.

1) Run inside when inside my own 5
2) Pass Long on 2nd and 1,
3) Go for it on 4th and 1, (between the 30's)
4) Go for it when inside the opponent's 3 yd line.

I think these are just standard football logistics...