League Forums

Main - League Help

yds/rush

By Hellbringer
8/10/2017 6:58 am
How can I get my yards per rush up? I'm only getting around 2 yards per carry.

Re: yds/rush

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/10/2017 7:16 am
Look at your offensive plays and remove the bad plays from your playbook. There is one outside run in particular that even the best teams often get stuffed, forget the name of it but when I first started I noticed that play was **** even against my horrible defenses I started out with.

Also check your lineman's attributes. Your tackles need to be strong and good at pass blocking, guards should at least be fast or have good acceleration along with good run blocking.

I still have your box score up on my other screen and your top 2 RB look fine to me. Tucker could stand to be a little faster but like I said in the 13 fumble post, once he matures into his ratings, he'll be fine. Napier is serviceable, not great but doesn't ****.

8/10/2017 7:17 am
If you don't know how to check yet, look under gameplanning, offensive plays. There you can see your team's results per play for all plays ran.

By Hellbringer
8/10/2017 7:22 am
I had a toss play with -2.2 yds/attempt. I canned it

8/10/2017 8:09 am
Hellbriner wrote:
I had a toss play with -2.2 yds/attempt. I canned it

Most toss plays **** because most CB's/LB's are faster than the pulling lineman and often blow the play up for a loss. My team's defense in Custom 79 often stuffs it for 5 and 6 yard losses but that's the extreme end of the spectrum, that defense is **** good.

The few times it is successful is usually a bad defensive alignment or a team has lineman fast enough to get out there and actually block that first guy along with a RB fast enough to get to the hole at the right time.

I have several very successful running games in MFN, just not in this league yet, and I used to have but 1 team I felt comfortable using that play, but that was also year 1 of a start up league and now defenses have caught up, it's scrapped. If your RB's are good enough and OL good enough, you can run for 150-200 yds a game or more without using any toss or sweep plays.

By tribewriter
8/10/2017 8:13 am
I have eliminated two toss and two sweep plays from my playbook and we are five games into the season.

8/10/2017 8:15 am
https://mfn70.myfootballnow.com/team/view/23

Check out my rushing stats for 2021 on this team, then scroll back to 2019. This team wasn't great when I first took it over, and I initially made it worse with rookie mistakes. in 2019 I had maybe 1300 rushing yards in 16 games. Fast forward to 2021 and it's more than double that, even had a 2,000 yard rusher. Rogers is a beast but it took time to get a good OL.

Be patient, get better players where needed, tweak that playbook, and most importantly, set rules for your team.

By Otterpop
8/10/2017 8:57 am
I am still pretty new to the game but I have found at least with my teams most of the toss/sweep plays just do not get you much.

Also if your pulling offensive lineman does not have the acceleration/speed to get in front of you back then there usually no one there to stop that defender.

I try to avoid outside runs that require pitches/sweeps at least with a lot of my teams they do not work. But I do keep trying now and then because if they do work they are usually big runs.