League Forums

Main - Team News

New York StarPost

By Chandyo
1/12/2019 1:10 am
Breaking News out of New York Today.

Owner Brxnivy has sold majority ownership of the team to a man named Josh Chandyo. Josh comes to the USFL/WFL after spending time in Private 75 as the owner of the Las Vegas Insomnia and being league admin and team owner of the 1st ever United Football Alliance, Rochester Bots.

We caught up with the new owner:

"This is exciting times for New York and for Myself. I had no intentions of taking over any more teams but a team like the Stars doesn't just come open very often. I'm truly honored to be apart of this league and help to guide this team to a World Bowl someday. Don't expect to much change here earlier on. I haven't had the time to fully dive into the roster but Looks like Brxnivy, left this team in a positive light and I hope only build on that." - Josh Chandyo

This is Tommy Galaxy for the New York StarPost signing off.

1982 Off-Season Additions

By Chandyo
2/05/2019 6:16 pm
Tommy Galaxy here with you again to review this past off-season signings. New Owner Josh Chandyo and Head Coach Phillip Bailey brought in 10 new faces to the Stars. Now it's too early to tell but will any of these guys become household names for Star fans this season? Will any of these guys get starts or will they even been on the team still when the regular season begins. Time will tell my friends.

FS-James Wellman signed to a reserve role, signed after one season with the VooDoo. He comes to New York, with 274 total tackles, 4 sacks, 10 interceptions and a 42% catch allowed percentage in his 8 year career. He will spent time as a backup safety and cornerback. Signed a 3 year deal.

WR-Wendell Pinegar comes to New York via Chicago where he has spent the last 6 seasons of his 8 year career. He totals 250+ receptions, over 3,500 yards and 20 touchdowns. He comes to the Stars as a mentor and will most likely be 4th on the depth chart. Signed a 2 year deal.

HB-Albert Naquin new owner Chandyo knew he wanted to bring in some more depth behind rookie of the year Ernest Lynch. He does so with the Naquin signing. Naquin, the 10 year vet comes to New York on a 2 year deal after spending last season with the VooDoo. Most of his career he has been with the other Star team in Baltimore. He has just over 2,200 yards and 13 touchdowns on the ground and just over 800 yards recieving.

FS-Anthony Mashburn Mashburn comes to New York after spending the last 4 seasons in Denver. Like previously mentioned Wellman, Mashburn comes in to add depth at Safety. He doesn't have a lot of starting experience as he has only started 16 games over his 9 year career. New York gave him a 3 year deal.

LG-Andrew Keating One area of need for the Stars was offensive line. The free agency crop was full of older statesmen and New York was able to snag one in Keating. He has started 106 games out of 108 games in his 11 year career. He has only allowed 16 sacks in 8,246 snaps. He signed a 1 year deal to fill in at Left Guard for the Stars this season.

C-Victor Jewell Not sure I would call Center a need but depth is always good. Victor Jewell has spent his entire USFL/WFL career in Hawaii. He's only made 14 starts and has allowed 5 sacks in his 1,077 snaps. He signed a 2 year deal to come serve as a backup here in New York.

TE-Justin Holley Holley comes to New York after spending last season with both the Thunderbolts and the Breakers. He hasn't seen the field to much in his 3 year career, only 104 snaps to be exact. Holley has really good hands which is something that peak the interest of Chandyo and the coaches. He signed a 5 year deal to come to New York.

HB-James Haigh Chandyo only really wanted to get one veteran HB this off-season but somehow found a way to get 2. Haigh is another 9 Year guy that will add depth. He will be looking to surpass the 5,000 yard rushing mark this season. He has 38 rushing touchdown in hiss career with Tampa and Portland.

CB-Chris Haddock More Depth for the secondary with the pick of Haddock. He hasn't appeared in a regular season game since the 77 season. He might not make the team here either but he signed a min contract to see if he can.

WR-Frank Ryan The youngest free agency signing for the Stars this off-season Ryan coming to New York from Jacksonville. Not going to wow you with his speed but has sub-par hands. This one is a sign and fill in guy. Meaning he will probably only see playing time if an injury occurs.

New York also announced that Backfield coach Mark Gray signed a 5 year contract extension and the team also signed Joshua Gaines as the new Secondary Coach. He has no previous Professional coaching experience.

Tomorrow comes review of the 1982 New York Stars Draft Class.
Last edited at 2/06/2019 10:24 am

1982 Stars Draft Class

By Chandyo
2/06/2019 11:27 am
1st Draft Class under new Owner/General Manager Josh Chandyo.

New York had 6 draft picks in the 1982 draft.

Round 1 Pick 22
FS-Christopher McGee | 6'0" | 206lbs | Kansas | VOL: 20
- Management already added 3 veterans to the secondary this off-season, (Safeties Wellman and Mashburn, and a Corner in Haddock), but this pick up will add more depth and help the team balance out some youth. McGee is expected to start day one. He's got Good Speed, Is great in both Man and Zone and is a sure tackler. Not a bad pick at 22. He was a stud at Kansas leading the team in tackles his Sophomore, Junior, and Senior seasons. As a freshman he didn't get to play until week 8 after an injury forced him into the game.
Training Camp Results: +2

Round 2 Pick 3
HB-Cam Dalton | 5'11" | 217lbs | Boston College | VOL:32
- Again the Star Management team adds another position that they targeted in Free Agency. This one is a little interesting due to adding both (Naquin and Haigh) and having the rookie of the year Lynch. Dalton is a super talent though and having him available at this pick was just too much for management to pass on. He's quick and was known as more of a receiver out of the backfield at Boston College. He should pair very well with Lynch.
Training Camp Results: +1

- This pick was acquired when New York traded their 4th Round Pick 21 selection (DT-Walter Daniels) as well as QB-Martin Greene to the Southern California Sun.

Round 3 Pick 22
S/LB-Abel Jackson | 6'0" | 232lbs | Arizona State | VOL:66
- Jackson played Safety for most of his Sundevil career in college. New York will be looking to move him to LB most likely the Will. Average Speed for a Backer, solid tackler, better in zone then man but all around solid player. A good camp could push him into a starting role but regardless should make the team.
Training Camp Results: +8

Round 5 Pick 22
C-Richard Robinson | 6'3" | 283lbs | Maryland | VOL:38
- Center wasn't really a big need for the Stars but depth is always needed, injuries happen. The great thing about Robinson is he can play any of the 5 Offensive Line. He's decently strong isn't the best blocker but more than capable as a backup guy.
Training Camp Results: +1

Round 6 Pick 21
TE-Thomas Liberatore | 6'2" | 257 | USC | VOL: 32
- Liberatore has a great name maybe the best of the Stars new class. Liberatore has excellent hands but isn't the fastest TE in the class. He isn't a very good blocker either. At this point of the draft he was worth the gamble and will most likely make the team.
Training Camp Results: -3

Round 7 Pick 22
RE-Arthur Mitchell | 6'3" | 284lbs | Elizabeth City State | VOL:92
- A bit of a gamble pick here for the Stars. He had a solid Junior season at Elizabeth City but fell off big time his senior year. If he excels in camp he could be a good find but if he struggles he's like done.
Training Camp Results: -7

After Camp Cuts:
HB-Leonard Arredondo was the odd man out at running back after the team signed Albert Naquin, James Haigh and the drafting of HB-Cam Dalton. He will be looking for a new team for this season.

RE-Arthur Mitchell did indeed struggle in camp. Coach knew coming in that there would be a chance. He was given plenty of opportunities during camp but just fell short with each effort.

Re: New York StarPost

By tribewriter
2/06/2019 12:44 pm
Arredondo used to be a really nice back, one who could run and catch passes. Unfortunately, age caught up with him and his ratings really took a dive the last two seasons. But, in his day, he was quite an asset to both SoCal Sun and the NY Stars.

By AlexanDragon
2/06/2019 3:21 pm
Thats a lengthfull team news you're putting together! I enjoy reading it.
Looks like you've had an awesome camp!

BREAKING NEWS

By Chandyo
3/03/2019 6:37 pm
New York to start a new Quarterback in Week 11!

Reserve QB Ed Swafford has taken all 1st team reps this week in practice. Swafford has not appeared in QB action since the ‘80 season, that was his rookie season. The 3rd year man out of Arkansas has one more year left on his rookie deal. If he can show the coaches something in this game to give them the starting role beyond this week, he could secure his future here in New York.

As Far as QB Eric Roberge he will fall to #2 on the depth chart. Robege has only 1 passing Touchdown in 10 games this season. He has completed 61% of his passing and has 8 interceptions.

The team is also elevating last year’s rookie of the year HB-Ernest Lynch back to the #1 tailback.

Coach Bailey is hoping these two moves can help provide a spark for an team that ranks never the botttom in most all of the offensive areas.
Last edited at 3/03/2019 6:38 pm

By tribewriter
3/03/2019 7:35 pm
Roberge struggling surprises me, considering his ratings have held steady. When I had the NY Stars, he did have one awful season. I went out and signed some good free agent WR and his numbers climbed back up again. Sometimes it is the OL and the WR that are the problem (not saying that is the case here).

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
3/04/2019 3:02 am
Might be the version change, I've been yo-yoing my QB's depending on the version.

By Chandyo
3/04/2019 10:41 am
tribewriter wrote:
Roberge struggling surprises me, considering his ratings have held steady. When I had the NY Stars, he did have one awful season. I went out and signed some good free agent WR and his numbers climbed back up again. Sometimes it is the OL and the WR that are the problem (not saying that is the case here).

I agree he has great stats and I was reluctant to make the switch but at the same time something needed to change. Team isn't doing as well as I had hoped.

raidergreg69 wrote:
Might be the version change, I've been yo-yoing my QB's depending on the version.

Considering that myself.

The move seemed to work out in Game 1, lets see what happens after a few more.

1984 - Off-Season

By Chandyo
6/05/2019 3:27 pm
The 1983 wrapped up with a disappointing 6-10 season. Worst season since Owner Josh Chandyo took over the Starts.

The off-season started with 3 retirements.

FS-James Wellman - Wellman retired at the age of 32 after 10 seasons. He signed with New York of the in the off-season of the 1982 season. He appeared in 29 games making 5 starts for the Stars. He registered 18 tackles. He retired with a career total of 292 tackles, 4 sacks, 16 hurries, 10 interceptions and a catch percentage of 41.3.

WR-Wendell Pinegar - Pinegar signed with the Stars 1982 season with Wellman (referenced before). He only registered 1 catch for 6 yards. He didn't appear in a game last season. He finishes his career withh 260 receptions for 3,536 yards and 20 touchdowns. He was strictly signed for for depth and his leadership.

CB-Chris Haddock - Also signed with Pinegar and Wellman in the off-season of the 1982 season. He has been nothing a backup for his entire carreer. He calls it a career with only 10 regular season tackles.

Releases

QB-Eric Roberge - In a shocking move, the Stars let all time passing leader Roberge go test the market after being unable to come to terms during the season. He will be entering his 10th season and Josh Chandyo felt that what he was wanting wasn't worth it for the couple of seasons he has left. He leaves New York with 2,451/4,089 for 29,389 yards. He has 172 touchdowns with 145 interceptions. He has a career Quarterback Rating of 81.2. Another reason for the willingness to let him walk was that he has 34 interceptions in the last two seasons. Edward Swafford is projected to become the new starter here in New York. It's not too much of a shock as he has split time with Roberge with all the struggles.
- After no offers were made to Roberge, Josh Chandyo reached back out to Eric and offered him a considerable lower offer, and Roberge decided he wants to end his career here in New York. That being said, Swafford is set to be the starter Day 1.

C-Gaston Gross - The former 1980 1st rounder was not retained. Gross started every game he appeared in since being drafted with the 26tth pick. This one could be considered a bit of a shocking move as well. While Gross has amazing strength and is a great short snapper but his blocking skills are lacking.
- He signed a 6 year $50.4 million dollar deal with the Arizona Wranglers.

The team also fired Kicker Dane Lomanco. They hired Tony Tighe as his replacement. This is Tony's 1st professional coaching opportunity. Previously serving as the Special Teams Coordinator at defending national champion Nebraska Cornhuskers.

The Team only signed a couple of Free Agency despite letting go of 10 and the 3 retirements.

QB-Eric Roberge - See Above ^

C-Michael Defrancisco | 6'2" | 283lbs | Arizona State | EXP: 14
New York signs former Philly Bell Center DeFrancisco. He has started 111 games over the last 10 seasons for the Bell. He has only allowed 14 sacks in 8,352 plays. He will be the #1 Center for the Stars this off-season going into training camp.

HB-George Webb | 6'1" | 217lbs | Idaho State | EXP: 9
The Stars sign George Webb to be the #3 HB on the roster. Just a depth signing after letting Naquin and James Haigh go this off-season. He's previous spent time with Houston, Jacksonville, and Orlando. He has 1,535 yards on 390 carries with 12 touchdowns. He has started 25 games and appeared in 105 games.

Now all focus shifts to the draft. As it stand New York will be drafting at pick 11th. There are many options for the Stars at that spot.