League Forums

Main - Team News

Re: AZ Wranglers

By vcr5150
5/22/2019 10:29 am
Ok, that was a little painful first year. Adjusting to the new code was a challenge, and still don't have a good grasp of what works and what doesn't.

The FA pool this season was pretty slim - but that was OK, because this team was strapped salary cap-wise. Plugged as many holes as possible - but this team fielded the weakest LB and secondary I've ever had in a league that was more than 2 seasons removed from the allocation draft.

So we close this season with no post season, and start focusing on Phase 2 of the rebuild. Although a big concern has come to light. I have 3 aging players with large bonuses. I have a 30% retire WR with $8.5M total future bonus, a 20% QB with $26.6M bonus, and a 10% LG with $38M bonus. IF that LG plays less than 2 additional seasons, that will really be a strain for the team.

Congrats to the playoff teams and good luck. The Arizona Wranglers will look forward to 1984.
Last edited at 5/22/2019 10:29 am

Re: AZ Wranglers

By vcr5150
5/31/2019 9:56 am
Ok, getting nervous for the End of Season sim. The previous owner left our salary cap exposed to potential disaster if some players retire.

QB Montalvo - 20% retirement probability. If he retires, we will be on the hook for $26.5M in future bonus.
WR Robinzine - 30% retirement probability. If he retires, $8.5M for future bonus.
LG Kurtz - 10% retirement probability. If he retires, $37.9M for future bonus.

IF all 3 were to somehow retire (I know, unlikely, but .....) We would have to cut $15-20M worth of salary to stay under the cap and replace those players. That would be a huge setback. There are already some gaping holes at specific positions, and after only 1 free agent period - I am well aware that pickings are slim and competitive in this league.

So the Arizona front office will sleep uneasy tonight.