The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: New Blog Post, Nov. 26: 1981 USFL/WFL Preview

By tribewriter
11/28/2018 11:31 am
Also, yeah, you're not getting anywhere if you toss your money to a bevvy of 75-80+ players in lieu of going after the 1-2 top end guys on FA. Gamechangers are needed to win in this game....you need a couple on the offensive side of the ball.

This is exactly what I was driving at. I used to think fiscal balance was the smart way to go. I am no longer sure of that, just like I am no longer sure I should shy away from high-vol draft picks. Thanks for the food for thought.

By greyghost1225
11/28/2018 12:08 pm
Experience changes an owners view of the game.

By Pernbronze
11/28/2018 3:08 pm
tribewriter wrote:
Also, yeah, you're not getting anywhere if you toss your money to a bevvy of 75-80+ players in lieu of going after the 1-2 top end guys on FA. Gamechangers are needed to win in this game....you need a couple on the offensive side of the ball.

This is exactly what I was driving at. I used to think fiscal balance was the smart way to go. I am no longer sure of that, just like I am no longer sure I should shy away from high-vol draft picks. Thanks for the food for thought.

I showcase the opposite. I prefer though sometimes not successful to have a deep quality roster and intentionally target high vol players unless there are still high end low vol players. It works for me and paid off this of season when I was left with only 38 players on my roster but a large amount of cash to maneuver and let me change strategy and nab top players. Gotta love varying strategies.

By Smirt211
11/28/2018 4:29 pm

You're welcome and agreed on the high-vol draft selections. You got 1 shot to improve your team in a major way in the draft (first round draft selections) Other draft selections are pieces to slide in and to improve in little ways; enhancers. I'd say a) if you have more than 1 pick in the first round it makes it easier to go for that 100 vol guy and balance it with a low-vol selection and b) if your turn comes up and that low vol guy is mundane or slim pickings since it's surrounded by high-vol guys....you do an assessment and go high-vol if you can't snag a can't miss-difference maker of first round ilk.

I'm coming around a bit more to high vol myself but with that one loaded up shot I can't afford it to be a miss, therefore, that's the balancing act.

By CrazyRazor
11/28/2018 4:35 pm
Smirt211 wrote:

You're welcome and agreed on the high-vol draft selections. You got 1 shot to improve your team in a major way in the draft (first round draft selections) Other draft selections are pieces to slide in and to improve in little ways; enhancers. I'd say a) if you have more than 1 pick in the first round it makes it easier to go for that 100 vol guy and balance it with a low-vol selection and b) if your turn comes up and that low vol guy is mundane or slim pickings since it's surrounded by high-vol guys....you do an assessment and go high-vol if you can't snag a can't miss-difference maker of first round ilk.

I'm coming around a bit more to high vol myself but with that one loaded up shot I can't afford it to be a miss, therefore, that's the balancing act.

What are these "can't miss" difference makers you speak of? I rarely see them. :P jk, jk, jk

By Smirt211
11/28/2018 4:49 pm
ha ha Once upon a time....there was this thing called a draft.

And then the Big Bad JDB put an end to them. lol

By tribewriter
11/28/2018 4:53 pm
Discussion about 4.3 (and there has been plenty of it in the forums) is apparently going to be moot, since JDB has indicated 4.4 will be released this week.

Of course, our league is just starting a season, so we are stuck with 4.3 for a while.
Last edited at 11/28/2018 4:57 pm