League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

2008 Playoff Previews

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/18/2024 11:19 am
It's already past my bedtime so I'm going to skip the last playoff appearance line I usually have. Everyone's last playoff appearance was 2007 except for New Jersey and Memphis, who were both last in the playoffs in 2006.

Super Wildcard Weekend

American Conference

Houston Gamblers (13-3) @ San Jose SaberCats (8-8)

Point Spread: Houston -6

Houston: Offense 3rd Defense 15th
San Jose: Offense 2nd Defense 3rd

Playoff Records: Houston 43-17 (9-0 World Bowl) San Jose 11-17 (1-0 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Houston beat San Jose 34-6 Week 8 of this season. Houston and San Jose are each 3-3 against each other in the post season.

Injuries: Houston 4 probable, 1 doubtful San Jose 5 probable, 1 questionable

Prediction: Houston 27 San Jose 24

It would not surprise me at all if San Jose won, but spoiler alert...I'm picking all the Southwest teams to win this round. The whole division won over 90% of their non division games (.9125 win % based on a 36.5-3.5 W-L record) and I'm just playing the odds. If I was basing this off of just stats I'd probably pick San Jose as both teams have equal offenses but the SaberCats also sport a 3rd ranked defense while Houston is a middle of the pack 15th.

Oklahoma Outlaws (11-5) @ Chicago Blitz (10-5-1)

Point Spread: Oklahoma -2

Oklahoma: Offense 5th Defense 16th
Chicago: Offense 15th Defense 10th

Playoff Records: Oklahoma 18-14 (2-1 World Bowl) Chicago 5-12 (0-1 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Oklahoma beat Chicago 33-13 Week 10 of 2007. Oklahoma and Chicago are 1-1 against each other in the post season.

Injuries: Oklahoma 2 probable, 1 doubtful Chicago 4 probable, 1 doubtful

Prediction:Oklahoma 24 Chicago 20

This is another game where I wouldn't be surprised if the non Southwest team wins as the Blitz were 3-1-1 against playoff teams this season. If you include their games against Oakland and Philadelphia, the two would be #8 seeds, that improves to 5-1-1. Chicago also has a higher ranked defense, but I'm not picking against a Southwest team this round.

San Antonio Gunslingers (11-4-1) @ Portland Storm (9-7)

Point Spread: San Antonio -1

San Antonio: Offense 11th Defense 12th
Portland: Offense 22nd Defense 6th

Playoff Records: San Antonio 2-4 (0-1 World Bowl) Portland 32-23 (4-3 World Bowl)

Head to Head: San Antonio beat Portland 19-0 Week 2 of this season. Portland is 1-0 against San Antonio in the post season, with that win all the way back in 1974.

Injuries: San Antonio 11 probable, 1 questionable, 1 doubtful Portland 4 probable, 2 questionable, 1 doubtful

Prediction: San Antonio 16 Portland 13

I don't think too many points get scored in this game and San Antonio wins on a late FG.

Re: 2008 Playoff Previews

1/18/2024 7:09 pm
Got me a few hours sleep and I'm now awake enough to continue typing.

Super Wildcard Weekend

National Conference

Birmingham Stallions (12-4) @ New York Stars (12-4)

Point Spread: New York -6

Birmingham: Offense 7th Defense 5th
New York: Offense 13th Defense 8th

Playoff Records: Birmingham 8-15 (0-1 World Bowl) New York 5-11

Head to Head: Birmingham beat New York 20-3 Week 12 of this season. This is the first time these teams have played each other in the post season.

Injuries: Birmingham 6 probable New York 3 probable, 2 doubtful

Prediction: Birmingham 34 New York 20

These teams have the same record but got there in opposite ways. Birmingham started the season 2-3 before winning 10 of their last 11, including handing New Orleans their only loss. The closest game during the streak was an 11 point win, so the Stallions are playing their best ball. New York started the season 10-1 before going 2-3 down the stretch. The Stars arrow is pointing up for the future and they've come a long way from a very low point, but I feel this is just another step. They'll play well but fall to a statistically better team before they improve some more next season.

Orlando Renegades (11-5) @ Jacksonville Bulls (13-3)

Point Spread: Jacksonville -2

Orlando: Offense 9th Defense 4th
Jacksonville: Offense 1st Defense 14th

Playoff Records: Orlando 11-15 (0-1 World Bowl) Jacksonville 7-13

Head to Head: Jacksonville swept Orlando this season, winning 23-14 Week 10 and 25-22 Week 14. Jacksonville is 1-0 vs Orlando in the post season.

Injuries: Orlando 2 probable Jacksonville 7 probable, 1 questionable, 1 Out

Prediction: Jacksonville 24 Orlando 18

When I was compiling my notes for this thread, I was surprised to see Jacksonville had the #1 offense in the league. I was thinking it would have been San Jose or Houston, but no, it's the Bulls. In the last 8 games of the season Jacksonville scored at least 40 in 6 of those, with the only 2 non 40 point games coming against tonight's opponent Orlando. Jacksonville is 4-2 against playoff teams while Orlando went 1-4. A Renegades win wouldn't surprise me as IoanBlood is a playoff regular and is capable of beating any team at any time, but it seems Jacksonville has their number this season.

New Jersey Generals (10-6) @ Pittsburgh Maulers (13-3)

Point Spread: Pittsburgh -10

New Jersey: Offense 16th Defense 17th
Pittsburgh: Offense 6th Defense 2nd

Playoff Records: New Jersey 42-25 (4-6 World Bowl) Pittsburgh 23-15 (2-2 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Pittsburgh beat New Jersey 43-3 Week 11 of 2007. New Jersey is 4-2 against Pittsburgh in the post season.

Injuries: New Jersey 7 probable, 3 questionable Pittsburgh 3 probable, 4 questionable

Prediction: Pittsburgh 38 New Jersey 10

Let's be real here, my only shot is to be +4 or better in turnover margin. That's how my average team even made the playoffs, we were 5th in the league with a +15 turnover margin. Without a big turnover margin, I fear we're gonna get creamed.

1/21/2024 5:18 pm
American Conference Division Round

Oklahoma Outlaws (12-5) @ Memphis Showboats (13-3)

Point Spread: Oklahoma -1

Memphis: Offense 4th Defense 9th

Playoff Records: Oklahoma 19-14 (2-1 World Bowl) Memphis 31-17 (5-0 World Bowl

Head to Head: Oklahoma is 4-2 against Memphis in the post season. Memphis swept Oklahoma this season, winning 21-6 in Week 10 and 35-12 Week 15.

Injuries: Oklahoma 1 probable, 1 questionable Memphis 4 probable

Prediction: Memphis 24 Oklahoma 17

If I use my usual formula for divisional playoff games, my predicted score would be 28-9, the average of the scores of their previous 2 games. While I do think Memphis wins, I don't think it will be as easy as earlier this season. In the current Southwest, flip a coin. I'm taking the default approach but would not be surprised at all if Oklahoma wins. They are the favorite according to MFN.

Houston Gamblers (14-3) @ Portland Storm (10-7)

Point Spread: Houston -2

Portland: Offense 22nd Defense 6th

Playoff Records: Houston 44-17 (9-0 World Bowl) Portland 33-23 (4-3 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Houston is 6-4 against Portland in the post season. Houston beat Portland 22-19 in OT Week 1 of the 2006 season.

Injuries: Houston 1 probable, 1 questionable, 1 doubtful Portland 4 probable, 2 questionable

Prediction: Houston 24 Portland 13

This game is strength vs strength as Houston has a top 3 offense going against Portland's 6th ranked defense. Can Portland hold down the Gamblers offense enough to give their offense a chance to win the game? I think they can but I don't think Portland's offense will do their part.

1/21/2024 6:32 pm
Had to take a break to get my bets in for KC/Buffalo. Basically I need Pacheco and Shakir to have good games and I'll be happy. Now it's back to the business at hand here.

National Conference Divisional Round

Birmingham Stallions (13-4) @ New Orleans VooDoo (15-1)

Point Spread: New Orleans -4

Birmingham: Offense 7th Defense 5th
New Orleans: Offense 10th Defense 1st

Playoff Records: Birmingham 9-15 (0-1 World Bowl) New Orleans 27-23 (1-5 World Bowl)

Head to Head: New Orleans is 2-1 against Birmingham in the post season. These teams split their 2 games this season with Birmingham beating New Orleans 20-0 in Week 8 while New Orleans beat Birmingham 24-12 in Week 13.

Injuries: Birmingham 7 probable, 2 questionable New Orleans 1 probable, 1 questionable

Prediction: New Orleans 23 Birmingham 20 OT

These teams have been battling for the South the last several seasons and Birmingham actually knocked the VooDoo out of the playoffs last season with a 23-20 OT victory. I know this sounds fake but I picked the score before I looked up last year's results. That would be ironic if New Orleans actually flips the script and wins 23-20 in OT this time.

Anyway I expect a tight game where a turnover here or a penalty there could make all the difference.

Jacksonville Bulls (14-3) @ Pittsburgh Maulers (14-3)

Point Spread: Pittsburgh -9

Pittsburgh: Offense 6th Defense 2nd

Playoff Records: Jacksonville 8-13 Pittsburgh 24-15 (2-2 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Jacksonville and Pittsburgh have split their 2 post season games with Pittsburgh winning 36-10 last season. Pittsburgh beat Jacksonville 34-0 Week 8 of this season.

Prediction: Jacksonville 24 Pittsburgh 23

Going with a gut feeling here as Jacksonville went on a run after Pittsburgh shut them out Week 8, going 8-0 down the stretch, scoring 338 and allowing 105. Then the Bulls obliterated Orlando 34-10 in the Wildcard Round while Pittsburgh struggled with New Jersey and took on some playmaker injuries in the process.

That being said, I would not be surprised if I'm completely wrong because recent history between these two suggest a Maulers blowout of the Bulls like the last 2 times they played.

1/23/2024 9:40 am
American Conference Championship

Oklahoma Outlaws (13-5) @ Houston Gamblers (15-3)

Point Spread: Houston -2

Playoff Records: Oklahoma 20-14 (2-1 World Bowl) Houston 45-17 (9-0 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Houston is 2-1 against Oklahoma in the post season. Houston swept Oklahoma this season, winning 41-20 Week 3 and 38-10 Week 16.

Injuries: Oklahoma 2 probable, 1 questionable Houston 2 probable, 1 doubtful

Prediction: Oklahoma 34 Houston 31

I usually pick Houston to win based on their track record of post season success but I'm going with a gut feeling again. Raymond Settles is on fire this post season and he led a victory over Memphis in the Divisional Round after the Showboats swept them in the regular season so he's not fazed by Houston sweeping them as well.

Jacksonville Bulls (15-3) @ New Orleans VooDoo (16-1)

Point Spread: New Orleans -6

New Orleans: Offense 10th Defense 1st

Playoff Records: Jacksonville 9-13 New Orleans 28-23 (1-5 World Bowl)

Head to Head: New Orleans is 3-0 against Jacksonville in the post season. New Orleans beat Jacksonville 27-9 Week 8 of 2007

Injuries: Jacksonville 7 probable, 1 questionable New Orleans 2 probable, 1 questionable, 1 doubtful

Prediction: Jacksonville 20 New Orleans 17

Jacksonville's #1 offense against the #1 defense of New Orleans. I guess you'd call this prediction yet another gut feeling. Someone has to play one of the Southwest juggernauts in the World Bowl, why not the team that's never been?