League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Real Life USFL/XFL Merger

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
12/19/2023 5:06 pm
I put real life in the title because I'm not talking about the MFN leagues of the same name. If you aren't from the U.S. or simply don't follow minor league football, the USFL and XFL had been playing football in separate spring leagues but now they are merging into 1 league.

The USFL consisted of 8 teams...Michigan, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, New Orleans, Memphis, Houston, Birmingham, and Philadelphia. With the merger, only 4 teams will exist from this group...Michigan, Houston, Memphis, and Birmingham.

No word yet on which XFL teams survive.

I guess I can drop my copyright lawsuit against the real life Generals now lol.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/four-usfl-teams-survive-merger-with-xfl
Last edited at 12/19/2023 5:08 pm

By PrivateSnowflake
12/20/2023 7:30 am
I was disappointed New Orleans (USFL) didn't make the cut only bc I loved their uniforms.

There also won't be two Houston teams so I'm sorry to see the Roughnecks go. Not only were they the best team in the XFL (imo), they had a great logo. The weird thing is the Gamblers actually played in Memphis last season, bc they couldn't come up with a Houston-based stadium. I suspect the Gamblers will take the Roughnecks lease at Houston's MLS stadium.

Rumored to make it from the XFL: St. Louis and San Antonio (no-brainers), then Arlington and DC.

According to the XFL news site, xflnewshub, stadium availability played a prominent role in who would continue out of each league.

I'm pretty excited the leagues have merged (better product/easier to follow) and I liked the broadcasts. Especially hearing the coaches talk to the QB, the player sideline interviews during the action, and who doesn't think hearing the replay officials is a great idea!

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
12/20/2023 3:51 pm
I like their kickoff and onside kick rules. Instead of an onside kick, it's 4th and 15...make it and keep the ball.