League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 2008 Random Observations

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/15/2024 2:51 am
Taking a break from playoff races to mention a record tying performance. I don't watch the games here, just click results and check the box score. I got excited for a minute when I saw I only lost 33-27 to the top seeded New Orleans VooDoo. I thought, wow, Via must have played good or I had a really good rushing game with some turnovers.

Nope, not even close. My RB, Calvin Rose returned 3 kickoffs for TDs, tying a record that stood for 31 seasons. Only Gregory Shea of the 1977 Memphis Showboats had returned 3 kickoffs for a TD in a single game before today. We still lost and might not make the playoffs, but I have this, haha.

1/17/2024 4:15 pm
The Southwest just completed what is likely the best non divisional record across all of MFN. Imagine finishing 11-5, pretty good record right? Likely a division winner or at least 2nd place. I've seen a few 11-5 3rd place finishes but I don't think I've seen one in last place until now.

Memphis 13-3
Houston 13-3
San Antonio 11-4-1
Oklahoma 11-5

That's a combined record of 48-15-1, but keep in mind there were 12 division games where they played each other. Take those 12 wins and losses away and you get a non division cumulative record of 36-3-1. In a word, that is ridiculous.

Congrats guys on a historic season. Can they keep up that dominance in January? We're about to find out.

By Cjfred68
1/17/2024 5:13 pm
It's possible the Division Round is all 4 Southwest teams. I'm not saying it's gonna happen but it is a possibility!!!

I'm not sure that's ever happened before!!

1/17/2024 5:23 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
It's possible the Division Round is all 4 Southwest teams. I'm not saying it's gonna happen but it is a possibility!!!

I'm not sure that's ever happened before!!

Bullies

1/18/2024 11:00 am
I'm in the middle of typing playoff previews and I just realized the Chicago Blitz are the only team in the league with a Southwest team on their schedule that didn't lose. Of course they only had 1 game against that division, a tie against San Antonio.

Pittsburgh finished 2-2 against the Southwest, beating Memphis and San Antonio while losing to Houston and Oklahoma.

San Jose was 1-3 against the Southwest, getting that win against Oklahoma.

Chicago was 0-0-1 against the Southwest as noted above.

That's it, the complete list of that division's non division blemishes this season.

1/21/2024 4:56 pm
I'm starting the Divisional Round previews when I had to stop and ask, why is Oklahoma favored? I mean I know why, the power ranking are broken and the point spreads are based off those, but seriously. Memphis earned the #1 seed and they swept Oklahoma in the regular season. They weren't cheap wins either as Memphis won the first game 21-6 and the 2nd game 35-12. Yet despite that, MFN says Oklahoma minus 1 point.