The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

1996 Playoff Previews

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
10/22/2021 1:46 pm
American Conference Wildcard

Oklahoma Outlaws (11-5) @ Chicago Blitz (10-6)

Point Spread: Chicago -5

Oklahoma: Offense 19th Defense 8th
Chicago: Offense 13th Defense 25th

Last Playoff Appearance: Oklahoma 1981 Chicago 1995
Playoff Records: Oklahoma 2-5 Chicago 4-7 (0-1 World Bowl)

Head to Head: This is the first post season meeting between the clubs. Chicago beat Oklahoma 16-10 Week 14 of 1995.

Injuries: Oklahoma 8 probable, 1 questionable, 1 doubtful, 1 Out Chicago 6 probable, 2 questionable, 1 doubtful

Prediction: Chicago 19 Oklahoma 16

I'm picking Chicago mainly based on playoff experience, as the Blitz have not played well down the stretch. They lost 3 in a row before beating the New Jersey B team Week 16. I can't figure out how good Oklahoma is yet, and I guess we'll find out. Is this the Outlaws team who beat Washington and Memphis while also giving Houston fits? Or are they the Outlaws who struggled down the stretch, winning close games against a 1 win team and a 4 win team?

Portland Storm (10-6) @ Houston Gamblers (14-2)

Point Spread: Houston -4

Portland: Offense 8th Defense 2nd
Houston: Offense 4th Defense 7th

Last Playoff Appearance: Portland 1995 Houston 1995
Playoff Records: Portland 15-11 (3-0 World Bowl) Houston 27-8 (6-0 World Bowl)

Head to Head: This is a rematch of last year's conference championship, which Houston won to even their post season record against Portland at 2-2. These two teams also just played in Week 16, in Houston, so Portland decided to just extend their stay. Word has it the Portland assistant to the traveling secretary is having a George Costanza like meltdown trying to make accommodations on such short notice. Houston won that game by the way 34-17.

Injuries: Portland 1 probable, 3 questionable Houston 5 probable, 3 questionable

Prediction: Houston 27 Portland 20

Portland and Seth are certainly capable of beating any team at any time, but I'm not picking against Tony Dean and the champs.

_________________________________________________________________________________

National Conference Wildcard

New York Stars (11-5) @ Shreveport Steamer (10-6)

Point Spread: Shreveport -3

New York: Offense 2nd Defense 18th
Shreveport: Offense 12th Defense 9th

Last Playoff Appearance: New York 1991 Shreveport 1995
Playoff Records: New York 5-7 Shreveport 3-9

Head to Head: New York and Shreveport have split their 2 previous post season games. Shreveport beat New York 10-7 in OT Week 5 of this season.

Injuries: New York 7 probable, 4 questionable, 1 doubtful Shreveport 5 probable, 1 I.R.

Prediction: Shreveport 20 New York 17

Shreveport has experience handling a high volume passing offense, having swept Georgia this season and New York is banged up on the offensive line. The Stars will probably hit a big play or two, but I think Game Manager Marcil leads the Steamer to victory.

Orlando Renegades (10-6) @ Washington Federals (10-6)

Point Spread: Washington -1

Orlando: Offense 7th Defense 4th
Washington: Offense 22nd Defense 11th

Last Playoff Appearance: Orlando 1995 Washington 1995
Playoff Records: Orlando 3-5 Washington 15-15 (0-5 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Washington is 1-0 against Orlando in the post season. Orlando beat Washington 34-20 Week 12 this season.

Injuries: Orlando 4 probable, 3 questionable, 1 Out Washington 4 probable, 1 questionable, 1 Out

Prediction: Orlando 24 Washington 16

I think as long as Orlando takes care of the ball they win. One common theme for the Renegades is their ball control, when they lose, they turn it over several times. It could happen in this game as defense isn't the problem for the Federals. Even if they do force Orlando into turnovers, can the Federals offense capitalize?

Re: 1996 Playoff Previews

10/25/2021 2:35 pm
American Conference Division Round

Chicago Blitz (11-6) @ Denver Gold (15-1)

Point Spread: Denver -10

Chicago: Offense 13th Defense 25th
Denver: Offense 5th Defense 1st

Last Playoff Appearance: Chicago 1995 Denver 1995
Playoff Records: Chicago 5-7 (0-1 World Bowl) Denver 13-11 (1-1 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Chicago and Denver have split 2 previous post season games...Denver beat Chicago in OT 23-20 Week 9 of this season

Injuries: Chicago 5 probable, 1 questionable Denver 4 probable, 2 questionable

Prediction: Denver 34 Chicago 17

Chicago has had a fine season, but they will need most, if not all of the breaks/sim rolls to upset Denver. The Gold have a top 5 offense to go with the #1 defense and should control both sides of the ball.

Houston Gamblers (15-2) @ San Jose SaberCats (15-1)

Point Spread: Even

San Jose: Offense 6th Defense 6th

Last Playoff Appearance: Houston 1995 San Jose 1995
Playoff Records: Houston 28-8 (6-0 World Bowl) San Jose 1-7

Head to Head: Houston is 1-0 against San Jose in the post season...San Jose beat Houston in OT 21-15 Week 13 of this season

Injuries: Houston 2 probable, 3 questionable San Jose 4 probable, 1 Out

Prediction: Houston 23 San Jose 20

I realize San Jose won in the regular season, but the playoffs usually belong to Tony Dean, whom I can't pick against. San Jose was one of the best teams all year, but they are a different team in the playoffs. I expect a close game with the sim rolls going to the team with an overall positive post season record.

National Conference Division Round

Shreveport Steamer (11-6) @ New Jersey Generals (13-3)

Point Spread: New Jersey -9

Shreveport: Offense 12th Defense 9th
New Jersey: Offense 1st Defense 10th

Last Playoff Appearance: Shreveport 1995 New Jersey 1995
Playoff Records: Shreveport 4-9 New Jersey 27-16 (2-4 World Bowl)

Head to Head: New Jersey is 3-1 vs Shreveport in the post season...New Jersey won 38-16 Week 3 of this season

Injuries: Shreveport 4 probable, 2 questionable, 1 doubtful, 1 I.R. New Jersey 1 probable, 1 questionable, 1 I.R.

Prediction: New Jersey 31 Shreveport 23

Shreveport could pose some problems for New Jersey but taking my bias out of it, I think the Generals have too many offensive weapons to be completely stopped and they should be able to make enough plays to win.

Washington Federals (11-6) @ Florida Blazers (13-3)

Point Spread: Florida -2

Washington: Offense 22nd Defense 11th
Florida: Offense 9th Defense 12th

Last Playoff Appearance: Washington 1995 Florida 1995
Playoff Records: Washington 16-15 (0-5 World Bowl) Florida 5-5 (1-0 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Washington is 1-0 vs Florida in the post season...Florida beat Washington 29-6 Week 10 of this season

Injuries: Washington 5 probable, 1 questionable, 1 doubtful, 1 Out Florida 3 probable, 1 questionable

Prediction: Florida 23 Washington 16

Florida has a solid running game and an efficient passing game that doesn't make mistakes as the Blazers are #1 in turnover margin. Washington has the playoff pedigree but I think the Blazers are the better all around team right now and should come out on top.

Re: 1996 Playoff Previews

10/28/2021 10:36 am
American Conference Championship

Houston Gamblers (16-2) @ Denver Gold (16-1)

Point Spread:Even

Denver: Offense 5th Defense 1st

Playoff Records: Houston 29-8 (6-0 World Bowl) Denver 14-11 (1-1 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Houston and Denver have split 6 previous playoff games...Houston beat Denver 27-10 Week 13 of 1995

Injuries: Houston 3 probable, 1 questionable Denver 6 probable, 1 questionable

Prediction: Houston 19 Denver 16

If San Jose had beaten Houston, I'd likely pick Denver to win, the Gold are excellent on both sides of the ball and they aren't intimidated by good teams after banging heads with Portland twice a season, sometimes 3 times. I'm sure they aren't intimidated by big, bad Houston either, but the playoffs are usually Tony Dean's time to shine. As long as Houston keeps winning I'll keep picking them to win.

National Conference Championship

Florida Blazers (14-3) @ New Jersey Generals (14-3)

Point Spread: New Jersey -7

Florida: Offense 9th Defense 12th
New Jersey: Offense 1st Defense 10th

Playoff Records: Florida 6-5 (1-0 World Bowl) New Jersey 28-16 (2-4 World Bowl)

Head to Head: New Jersey is 2-0 vs Florida in the post season...New Jersey beat Florida 32-10 Week 13 of 1995

Injuries: Florida 3 probable, 1 doubtful (USFL Leading rusher Robert Romero) New Jersey 3 probable, 1 doubtful, 1 I>R>

Prediction: New Jersey 24 Florida 16

The question is, when will I be disappointed? Will it be tomorrow when I wake up and see we missed out in the CC game the 4th straight year? Or will it be Monday morning after our 5th World Bowl loss? This often feels like a JV game because the American Conference literally dominates the World Bowl. Regardless, one of us has to win and be offered up as a sacrifice to Denver or Houston and I think the New Jersey offense will be a bit too much for Florida to overcome, especially with a hobbled Romero.