League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

OL Minimum Weights

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
2/08/2021 2:53 pm
I never paid this much attention because it's not really a problem, but in the process of compiling the All Pro ballot, I came across a former WR now listed as a LG. I'm hoping it's just a mistake, but we aren't going to start having OL barely over 200 lbs.

I went through all current rosters and I found 3 that will be grandfathered in, since they've been playing the OL underweight previously.

Robert Dunlap, Jacksonville
William Collier, Tampa Bay
David Luce, New Orleans

Centers must weigh 250 lbs
Guards/Tackles must weigh 275 lbs

With the draft coming up, please pay attention to the player's physical weight. You should already be doing this for defensive lineman and LB's.

Re: OL Minimum Weights

By Mcarovil
2/08/2021 7:49 pm
Is there a perceived benefit for having an under weight OL?

By dyluckyguess
2/08/2021 8:07 pm
I would assume it would be the same as having an underweight dline.

By Mcarovil
2/08/2021 8:12 pm
Yeah but I don’t know that pulling for OL has that much of an impact like a fast DL regardless of weight but what do I know.

By dyluckyguess
2/09/2021 1:22 am
I think it's more impactful at the tackle position personally but I don't play the game enough to figure it out

2/09/2021 4:21 am
Mcarovil wrote:
Is there a perceived benefit for having an under weight OL?

Idk if there is a benefit or not, but as long as we're trying to field real football teams, we might as well make sure the OL are beefy enough.

The guy you signed in free agency is fine at 270 lbs since he is an 8th year vet and only 5 pounds shy.

The player in question that got me down this road is part of a weight gain experiment. VCR has 2 aging WR that he wants to turn into TE's, so he made one an OL and one a TE, and he wants to compare their weight gains.

Nothing wrong with experimentation as long as your roster is compliant by the first regular season game.

By setherick
2/09/2021 11:37 am
There is no benefit to playing an underweight OL (that is under 283# or whatever C weight is).

There is a big detriment though in run blocking.

Push is determined by comparing ST + Weight. A 319# OL with 90 ST is going to maul a 276# DE with 90 ST for example. Whereas, the 276# DE is not going to be able to push the OL back into the play.

2/09/2021 4:02 pm
I don't anticipate this being much of an issue, I only posted because I saw a WR changed to an OL, but now I know it's just temporary.