League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

1992 Playoff Previews

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/25/2021 12:00 pm
American Conference Wildcard Round

Detroit Wheels (10-6) @ Houston Gamblers (12-3-1)

Point Spread: Houston -10

Detroit: Offense 16th Defense 13th
Houston: Offense 3rd Defense 11th

Last Playoff Appearance: Detroit 1984 Houston 1991
Playoff Records: Detroit 15-8 (2-1 World Bowl) Houston 18-6 (4-0 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Houston is 2-0 vs Detroit in the playoffs and the Gamblers defeated the Wheels in Week 10, 29-13

Injuries: Detroit 6 probable Houston 7 probable, 1 questionable

Prediction: Houston 34 Detroit 20

Detroit finally makes the playoffs after a 7 year drought, only to have to play 4 time Champion Houston. Neither defense is particularly strong, so I expect Detroit to hang around a bit, but their lack of running game coupled with playoff veteran Tony Dean leading the Gamblers offense is too much to overcome.
________________________________________________________________________________

Portland Storm (12-4) @ San Jose SaberCats (12-4)

Point Spread: San Jose -4

Portland: Offense 5th Defense 3rd
San Jose: Offense 4th Defense 12th

Last Playoff Appearance: Portland 1991 San Jose 1991
Playoff Records: Portland 11-8 (2-0 World Bowl) San Jose 1-3

Head to Head: This is their first post season game against each other while Portland beat San Jose 20-14 in Week 5

Injuries: Portland 2 probable, 3 questionable, 1 doubtful, 1 Out San Jose 8 probable, 1 questionable

Prediction: Portland 24 San Jose 21

Seth and Holly are both top flight owners across MFN and both are quite capable of making a title run in the USFL but only one team can advance. San Jose has one of the most explosive players in the league in Mark Hsu, but I think Portland has a more balanced attack, and their defense can shut down the rest of the offense even if Hsu goes off. Defending Champion Portland lost 4 games this year, or as many as they lost the previous 3 years combined including post season, but it's playoff time. This might be the most exciting game of Wildcard Weekend.

Re: 1992 Playoff Previews

1/25/2021 12:24 pm
National Conference Wildcard Weekend

Pittsburgh Maulers (11-5) @ New Orleans VooDoo (10-6)

Point Spread: Even

Pittsburgh: Offense 14th Defense 6th
New Orleans: Offense 17th Defense 15th

Last Playoff Appearance: Pittsburgh 1991 New Orleans 1991
Playoff Records: Pittsburgh 9-8 (0-1 World Bowl) New Orleans 11-13 (0-3 World Bowl)

Head to Head: New Orleans is 2-0 vs Pittsburgh in the post season but the Maulers defeated the VooDoo 19-14 in Week 9 of 1991

Injuries: Pittsburgh 5 probable, 3 questionable New Orleans 5 probable, 2 questionable, 1 Out

Prediction: Pittsburgh 26 New Orleans 17

New Orleans is the home team, thanks to winning the South, but over the last 4 weeks, the Maulers are playing much better than the VooDoo. I expect the offensive momentum to carry over for Pittsburgh, even if it means FGs instead of TDs. New Orleans won't go down quietly, but I think the hotter team prevails in this game.

Washington Federals (12-4) @ New Jersey Generals (9-7)

Point Spread: Washington -5

Washington: Offense 7th Defense 4th
New Jersey: Offense 15th Defense 28th

Last Playoff Appearance: Washington 1991 New Jersey 1990
Playoff Records: Washington 8-11 (0-1 World Bowl) New Jersey 21-12 (2-4 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Washington is 1-0 against New Jersey in the playoffs and the Federals beat the Generals 27-9 in Week 12

Injuries: Washington 5 probable, 5 questionable New Jersey 5 probable, 1 questionable, 1 Out (I.R.)

Prediction: Washington 45 New Jersey 13

New Jersey is by far the worst of the playoff teams and they should make a quick exit. With the 28th ranked defense, it doesn't look good trying to stop Bieber and company. The Generals have had some high scoring games but the Federals defense is ranked higher than their offense. Our only hope is to hit some big plays, force some turnovers, and hope we come out on top in the end.

1/27/2021 11:25 pm
American Conference Divisional Round

Portland Storm (13-4) @ Denver Gold (14-2)

Point Spread: Even

Portland: Offense 5th Defense 3rd
Denver: Offense 1st Defense 14th

Last Playoff Appearance: Portland 1991 Denver 1991
Playoff Records: Portland 12-8 (2-0 World Bowl) Denver 8-9 (0-1 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Portland is 2-0 against Denver in the post season but Denver swept Portland this season, 34-13 in Week 4 and 35-16 in Week 15.

Injuries: Portland 3 probable, 3 questionable, 2 doubtful Denver 5 probable, 1 doubtful, 2 I.R.

Prediction: Denver 31 Portland 24

It's hard to pick against Seth, as we all know how good he is at this game, but it seems that vcr5150 has his number this year. Denver swept Portland by 2 decisive scores this season, and while I expect Seth to make some adjustments, Denver's #1 offense should prevail imo.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Houston Gamblers (13-3-1) @ Michigan Panthers (13-3)

Point Spread: Michigan -3

Denver: Offense 9th Defense 2nd

Last Playoff Appearance: Houston 1991 Michigan 1991
Playoff Records: Houston 19-6 (4-0 World Bowl) Michigan 4-7

Head to Head: Houston is 3-1 against Michigan in the post season and the Gamblers defeated the Panthers 32-23 in Week 9.

Injuries: Houston 6 probable Michigan 4 probable, 1 questionable

Prediction: Houston 27 Michigan 21

Michigan has the 2nd ranked defense in the league but trying to stop Tony Dean and company in the playoffs is no easy task. Houston can run the ball as well as they throw it and I think they'll make an extra play or 2 to make the difference in a close, hard fought game.

1/27/2021 11:49 pm
National Conference Divisional Round

New Jersey Generals (10-7) @ Baltimore Stars (13-2-1)

Point Spread: Baltimore -14

New Jersey: Offense 15th Defense 28th
Baltimore: Offense 2nd Defense 9th

Last Playoff Appearance: New Jersey 1990 Baltimore 1991
Playoff Records: New Jersey 22-12 (2-4 World Bowl) Baltimore 12-9 (0-2 World Bowl)

Head to Head: New Jersey is 3-0 against Baltimore in the post season but the Stars beat the Generals 28-18 Week 10.

Injuries: New Jersey 3 probable, 2 questionable, 1 I.R. Baltimore 3 probable, 2 questionable

Prediction: Baltimore 45 New Jersey 13

I'll stick with my 45-13 prediction as we gave up over 500 yards to Washington and the odds of winning the turnover battle 5-1 again are very slim.
__________________________________________________________________________________

New Orleans VooDoo (11-6) @ Florida Blazers (13-3)

Point Spread: Florida -5

New Orleans: Offense 17th Defense 15th
Florida: Offense 8th Defense 1st

Last Playoff Appearance: New Orleans 1991 Florida 1986
Playoff Records: New Orleans 12-13 (0-3 World Bowl) Florida 3-1 (1-0 World Bowl)

Head to Head: Florida is 1-0 against New Orleans in the playoffs, though that win was in 1974. In week 10 of this season, the Blazers beat the VooDoo 47-17.

Injuries: New Orleans 5 probable, 2 questionable, 1 doubtful Florida 8 probable, 1 questionable

Prediction: Florida 34 New Orleans 20

Florida was one of the best teams in the league all year long, and they were the last team to suffer a loss, as it seems just missing out on the post season in 1991 inspired them to play great football. While I don't expect another 30 point victory, I think Florida's #1 ranked defense will make enough stops to advance.

1/31/2021 10:08 am
Conference Championship Weekend

American Conference Championship

Houston Gamblers (14-3-1) @ Denver Gold (15-2)

Point Spread: Denver -3

Denver: Offense 1st Defense 14th

Playoff Records: Houston 20-6 (4-0 World Bowl: IX, XI, XII, XV) Denver 9-9 (0-1 World Bowl: X)
Head to Head: Denver is 2-1 against Houston in the post season and the Gold defeated the Gamblers 34-28 in Week 3.

Injuries: Houston 3 probable, 1 Out Denver 3 probable, 1 questionable, 1 doubtful, 2 I.R.

Prediction: Denver 35 Houston 31

It's rare to pick against Houston in the playoffs, as Tony Dean is sort of our version of Tom Brady, but Denver has a lot going for them right now. Not only did they beat Houston earlier this season, the Gold knocked Houston out of last year's playoffs and have won 3 in a row over the Gamblers. Throw in the fact Denver also has a 3 game sweep of our now former champs Portland, and I don't see how I don't pick Denver. Houston certainly has more than a punchers chance at an upset, and no matter which team wins, World Bowl XIX should be a good battle of great teams.

National Conference Championship

Florida Blazers (14-3) @ Baltimore Stars (14-2-1)

Point Spread: Baltimore -4

Florida: Offense 8th Defense 1st
Baltimore: Offense 2nd Defense 9th

Playoff Records: Florida 4-1 (1-0 World Bowl: I) Baltimore 13-9 (0-2 World Bowl: XV, XVI)
Head to Head: Baltimore is 1-0 against Florida in the post season and the Stars beat the Blazers 20-12 in Week 12 of this season.

Injuries: Florida 5 probable, 1 doubtful Baltimore 3 probable, 2 questionable

Prediction: Baltimore 23 Florida 19

Much like the American Conference, Florida has more than a punchers chance at an upset and I actually think the teams are about even, but I have to pick somebody. Baltimore has the playoff experience and they passed the New Jersey test twice. I know, I know, the Generals weren't too much of a test, but we did manage to beat Florida, so I'm picking the team that kicked my ****.