League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Playoff Races

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
11/14/2020 8:25 am
We know most of the teams but not the order.

What we know: Portland is the #1 seed in the American Conference. Michigan and San Jose are division winners. Denver will be a wildcard team while Houston and Memphis will also be in the playoffs.

I don't know exactly where in the tiebreaking procedures MFN branches off from NFL, so this is guess work.

American Conference Tiebreakers

First of all, I'm assuming whatever result is needed to create the tie, so these are all what if they tie scenarios.

Houston over San Jose Conference Record
Memphis over San Jose Head to Head
San Jose over Michigan Head to Head
Denver over Michigan Head to Head
Denver over Houston Head to Head
Michigan over Memphis Conference Record
Houston/Michigan is uncertain, no H2H game and would have identical conference record. Common opponents is a tie and Houston has better net points.

Re: Playoff Races

11/14/2020 9:03 am
Things are less clear in the National Conference and I believe that home field has yet to be clinched given New Orleans beating Washington head to head. MFN says otherwise, but we all know how inaccurate the playoff scenarios are.

What we know: New Orleans, Washington and the New York Stars are division winners while the Baltimore Stars will be a wildcard team.

Win and In: If Florida beats Tampa Bay, they win the Southeast. If Pittsburgh beats Washington, they get a wildcard spot.

Elimination Game (The SNF game if this were NFL) Tampa Bay @ Florida...The loser of this game is out for sure while Tampa Bay will still need help if they win.

My best guesses for each team, regarding playoff chances

Florida Win and in, lose and out
Orlando If they win, a Tampa Bay win gives the division to Orlando while a Florida win means the Renegades would need Pittsburgh to lose.
Tampa Bay If they win, they need Orlando to lose to be division champs. If both Tampa and Orlando win, Tampa may win a tiebreaker over Pittsburgh based on either common opponents or net points. The net points are close, Tampa is 5 points better, but for there to actually be a tie to break, Tampa Bay would absolutely win net points, same with common opponents (Shreveport, Washington, New York and Jacksonville). Tampa went 3-2 against those 4 teams while Pittsburgh is 2-2 with a game pending against Washington.

Tampa Bay would be ahead of Florida based on a season sweep.

New Orleans MFN says Washington gets home field but New Orleans beat Washington, so I believe that's still in play. A tie between New Orleans and New York depends on if they both win or lose. If they both win, that would give New York the edge in common opponents, but if they both lose, common opponent records would be tied. New Orleans has the better net points.

Washington Like I said before, I think the #1 seed is still in play, possibly even for New York if common opponents is ahead of net points. If they beat Pittsburgh, none of that matters and even if they lose, they still win the division.

Baltimore They can not win the division after Washington swept them, but they will be a wildcard.

Pittsburgh If they beat Washington, they're in. If they lose, they will be scoreboard watching. If I figured things out correctly, Orlando is the key for Pittsburgh regardless of who wins Florida/Tampa Bay.

New York Will be anywhere from #1 to #4 seed.

By BlindEarth80
11/14/2020 9:21 am
Very interesting. I forgot about common opponents and thought point differential was the tiebreaker, so with my upset loss in week 15, I figured New Orleans would get the bye (on the safe assumption they win week 16) and was going to rest my bruised roster so we could have a better shot in the wildcard game. But now I think I have to go all-in this week to secure the bye.

By tribewriter
11/14/2020 11:20 am
MFN (allegedly) uses the NFL's tie breaker system:
nfl tiebreaker system

11/14/2020 2:12 pm
tribewriter wrote:
MFN (allegedly) uses the NFL's tie breaker system:
nfl tiebreaker system

Except they don't, exactly. One season in World League, I made the playoffs when I felt I shouldn't and JDB said something about net points being in there too high.

Just found out the other day that waiver order is based on power rankings, according to billstein.

11/14/2020 4:57 pm
BlindEarth80 wrote:
Very interesting. I forgot about common opponents and thought point differential was the tiebreaker, so with my upset loss in week 15, I figured New Orleans would get the bye (on the safe assumption they win week 16) and was going to rest my bruised roster so we could have a better shot in the wildcard game. But now I think I have to go all-in this week to secure the bye.

I don't know exactly the order that MFN uses for tiebreakers, and it is well known that the notifications, i.e. the "z", "y", etc are glitchy in MFN and are not to be trusted without verification.

I wouldn't play anyone with less than 60% health but that's just me and we're home for the playoffs. Just be careful and use your best judgement.

By Hellbringer
11/14/2020 8:27 pm
So I would in theory have to play in wild card round?

By Hellbringer
11/14/2020 8:27 pm

11/14/2020 10:13 pm
Hellbringer wrote:

Either your team or Houston/Memphis division winner will.