LB Blocking Punts

How do we feel about LB blocking punts?

McKeon rule should apply
I'm fine with it
DL players only

Re: LB Blocking Punts

By Hellbringer
11/07/2020 7:10 pm
What about putting fast OL guys and TE's? I'm thinking more about blocking for the returner, not the punt itself

By Smirt211
11/08/2020 1:57 pm
If you can't do that, you might as well give up.

If you use it as a 'pass block' screen to enhance your punt returns and get a block with a TE - oh well. In theory, the 4 on the line would be heavy linemen in this situation, though. Speed or no speed they're not blocking the punt. Then you flower the TEs to the two wing spots and maybe in the 4 outside spots over by the gunners.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
11/08/2020 3:10 pm
The only concern is with the front 4 on the punt block/return team, the other 7 spots can be filled by anyone. I had intended for the McKeon Rule to cover punt blocks as well, but for whatever reason I did not type it in correctly.

This poll/thread is not meant to rehash all the old arguments but to gauge how everyone feels about this right now. The poll results so far show that the majority want the rule as originally intended. That was what was going to happen all along unless the vote went the other way.

I'm hoping this was an unintentional act, because if it was intentional, that means that after all of the discussion, someone saw my mistake and rather than ask me about it, they used it to their advantage.

Now, I don't really care to discuss the intent of the act either, the mistake is mine in the first place. It would be nice if everyone checked their ST Rushers and remove any 80+ speed LB, but it's not required until next season. If you do not currently have the depth to pull this off, you can fix that in the offseason.

By Smirt211
11/08/2020 4:22 pm
It's an equal playing field, thus, competitively you cordon it off as a non-concern. (1% chance I'll see a punt block vs. me - 0% mind paid to it)

We've been asked not to punt block, so you don't punt block. My 1 attempt is if an opponent has a non-punter or a badly timed one I've got a lower speed, 84 acceleration LB in there to strat advantage clobber a poor strat situation. That's it.

By hollyhh2000
11/08/2020 6:44 pm
can anyone tell me how many punts were blocked by McKeon, if we put in a rule in his name?

11/08/2020 6:56 pm
hollyhh2000 wrote:
can anyone tell me how many punts were blocked by McKeon, if we put in a rule in his name?

None because he was too tired from racking up over 100 sacks. This is a rule that should already be in effect, but isn't because I didn't type the rule properly. It's only being brought up now because in Week 12 an 80+ speed LB blocked a punt for a TD, which is the first time I noticed I unknowingly created a loophole.

It seems to me you are ready to debate the merits of this rule, but we already did that last season. All I'm doing is fixing an oversight, and I will not entertain any debate. You don't have anything to worry about until next season.

11/08/2020 7:05 pm
hollyhh2000 wrote:
Player at LB weights almost never make it to the punter unless its a bad Punter. I always have my LBs at STRusher when I am allowed to and I allways try to have the fastest LB possible

how many blocked punts have you seen from LBs? They are not an issue and LBs play on special teams on the line in the NFL

Not that many now because most people knew the intended spirit of the rule and took the LB out. I noticed the one, but the exact number is not the issue. The issue is the MFN game engine can not deal with the fast, undersized guys on the line...they blow right by them while the OL guy is scratching his junk.

It's an exploit plain and simple, and eventually the exploits will be weeded out of USFL.

By WarEagle
11/09/2020 4:54 am
I don't have any 80+ speed linebackers on my entire roster, so I guess I'm lucky to not have to worry about this issue.

By Cjfred68
11/09/2020 12:33 pm
There is no debate that speed above all else is an extreme exploit. If anyone has any questions about it, I suggest you go to my team in

No Holds Barred
https://no-holds-barred.myfootballnow.com/team/10

This is a league I created where there are no rules and anything is allowed. I build a team based purely on speed in the allocation draft and currently have 26 players with speed on the 90's.

I then used every exploit that anyone has ever used against me and packaged it all into my gameplan. I have 191 pound CBs playing both defensive end positions...in fact my entire defense is basically 90 speed CBs.

I take no pride in this team and sharing this isn't a brag....its just proof that speed dominates in MFN.

I won the title in the 1st season with basically no offense and after my QB improved going into season 2...my team went undefeated and allowed 33 points total for the season and tallied over 250 sacks.

Many custom leagues are creating custom rules so this doesn't become the norm. I don't think anyone wants to play in a league where this stuff is the norm.

This is about leveling the playing field where we all play with the same rules. Its about who can build the best team and come up with the best gameplan......not who uses the most exploits and can beat the code.
Last edited at 11/09/2020 12:33 pm