League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Just my opinion

By Booger926
8/29/2017 5:45 pm
These games that the chosen favorite consistently wins by 30+ points does not do anything to help improve the league.

When a team has 6 games of being favored by 14 before the game, and wins 5 of those by 24+ even when playing the 2nd string, that either drives away commitment or desire.

There is no reason why a team should consistently out score their opponents by a 4/1 ratio thru ought the season. There is no reason why a team should consistently have 5x as offensive yards as the other team through out the season.

No one can convince me, with the talent and experience of members of the MFN universe, that once in a while a dominating team cannot meet a comparable foe who would give a challenge. But, that does not seem to be the case.

As I said, just my opinion. If the league wants to grow and actually not follow the real USFL by folding in two years, then they should at least look at not running "inexperienced" owners off

Re: Just my opinion

By Mcarovil
8/29/2017 6:02 pm
A lot of those scores are due to the losing owner not gameplanning. To give yourself a chance you need to minimize your overuse by having enough defensive plays in all the packages, at least 4-5 each. You need to pick offensive plays that maximize your chances for positive plays. Don't call long passes for QBs with less than high accuracy. ****, I have a 89 acc QB in 86 and zero long pass plays. If you take the time to gameplan you shouldn't get blow outs.

Don't even need rules. I'm all for making this a competitive league for all so there aren't teams sleep walking through 8 weeks racking up historic stats.

By big_guido1983
8/29/2017 6:06 pm
Also, the lines max out at 14. So a team could actually be favored much more but is maxed out at 14

By tribewriter
8/29/2017 6:14 pm
I am not sure how to alleviate this problem. Most of our owners went through the allocation draft together, so most had an equal chance to build their club. There should not be that big of a talent differential at this stage of our league's maturity. We have put together a mentoring committee for new owners. I have stickied forum threads with valuable gameplanning information. The owners who have left the league since the regular season began never asked for any help. I want to achieve competitive balance, and I will give up my team and take over a less competitive one if the league thinks that will help. If there is another solution we should consider, I would be glad to hear it from Booger or anyone else.
Last edited at 8/29/2017 6:17 pm

By Booger926
8/29/2017 8:38 pm
tribewriter wrote:
I am not sure how to alleviate this problem. Most of our owners went through the allocation draft together, so most had an equal chance to build their club. There should not be that big of a talent differential at this stage of our league's maturity. We have put together a mentoring committee for new owners. I have stickied forum threads with valuable gameplanning information. The owners who have left the league since the regular season began never asked for any help. I want to achieve competitive balance, and I will give up my team and take over a less competitive one if the league thinks that will help. If there is another solution we should consider, I would be glad to hear it from Booger or anyone else.

I originally chose to not reply to this, but if I must since I was called out....

By tribewriter
8/29/2017 9:03 pm
No one's calling you out. I just want to know what we should be doing that we're not doing.

By Booger926
8/29/2017 9:16 pm
Mcarovil wrote:
A lot of those scores are due to the losing owner not gameplanning. To give yourself a chance you need to minimize your overuse by having enough defensive plays in all the packages, at least 4-5 each. You need to pick offensive plays that maximize your chances for positive plays. Don't call long passes for QBs with less than high accuracy. ****, I have a 89 acc QB in 86 and zero long pass plays. If you take the time to gameplan you shouldn't get blow outs.

Don't even need rules. I'm all for making this a competitive league for all so there aren't teams sleep walking through 8 weeks racking up historic stats.

I agree

By ToroTex
8/29/2017 9:21 pm
I'm not exactly sure what leads to these blowout wins.
I suspect that it's a combination of things, some that have been mentioned already:
Draft preparation & activity levels, inconsistent game planning & scouting, Depth Chart & injury management, Free Agency research, etc.

Also, once a team "earns" that little e in front of their names in the standings do they just give up the season all together, then just sit and wait for "next year?" If that's the case then I'm certain the next three weeks will produce more of the same wide-margin victories.

Being our inaugural season, I anticipated a seriously bumpy road with much more chaos and owner turnover. I think we've been truly fortunate that there is a solid core of active ownership participation and commitment. If you think about it, things could have been (and can be) much, MUCH worse. I believe we are very lucky to be in such good shape at this point.

Maybe it's just a matter of perspective.
I am fortunate to (potentially) be in the playoffs. My record is 11-2. Do I think I deserve that, **** no. I'm no genius when it comes to managing virtual "organizations." I flat out just got lucky several times. A missed tackle here or a bouncy fumble there gifted me some of those wins. That tells me that my share of bad karma is somewhere down the road. But you know what the crazy thing is?....this is the perspective part...all I can think of is "****, I'm in the playoffs, that means a low draft position for next season!"

It's a marathon, not a sprint...YMMV

By Booger926
8/29/2017 9:43 pm
tribewriter wrote:
No one's calling you out. I just want to know what we should be doing that we're not doing.

for one, experienced Teams shouldn't be exploiting blowouts against less experienced teams

As you said, we all had the chance to build our team through the allocation draft. However, not one team said that they were going to pass 95% of the time, or one team say they are going to run 95% of the time. Each owner came into this league expecting an equal battlefield, which has been denied.

Don't get me wrong. I strongly approve of a team playing towards their strengths but when it becomes apparently obvious that their weaknesses doesn't matter, why bother

By tribewriter
8/29/2017 10:42 pm
OK, if this league is broken in terms of competitive balance, how do we fix it? How do we prevent "exploiting?"