The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

New Blog Post: Week 15: Bonus Playoff Games

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/25/2020 3:32 pm
https://mfnusflwfl.blogspot.com/2020/04/week-15-bonus-playoff-games.html

Re: New Blog Post: Week 15: Bonus Playoff Games

By Dash
4/26/2020 5:37 pm
Fantastic Writeup Greg, And just to comment on the whole Orlando/Tampa Debacle. I know JDB does follow NFL tie breakers to an extent and things do seem to trail off after a certain amount of scenarios have been met. Mainly steps 3 and 4 which are

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Here is where things get Glitchy (Orlando showing as not clinching) from the Tie breakers Procedure. Going down the list; head head, Stalemate, division record 3-3, Stalemate, Step 3 Common games,which ends being Tampa Bay 8 wins to Orlando 7 with Orlando's Loss to Cali Sun being the deciding game.

Week 16 isn't a Common game so in sense Tampa gets the division and thus the "Y" which is correct. Somewhere in there i feel like Step 4 Conference record tie breaker is in there but coded incorrectly hence why Orlando has no "X" because it seems like the game still recognizes them as a chance to get the "Y" based on conference record which they do hold the advantage at this time.

But that's where it gets weird, Orlando's week 16 game is out of conference thus leaving them at 9-4 regardless of outcome, a win by TB would tie Orlando in conference record thus pushing this to a theoretical Step 5 "Strength of Victory" which shouldn't have even happened in the 1st place because TB won Tie breaker via Common games. Hopefully with the new format which i heard was rolled out in beta already (haven't checked it out) things are tidied up. Things have always been this way in my entire MFN Career. so it will be good to see it change for the better hopefully lol

4/26/2020 7:34 pm
Dash wrote:
Fantastic Writeup Greg, And just to comment on the whole Orlando/Tampa Debacle. I know JDB does follow NFL tie breakers to an extent and things do seem to trail off after a certain amount of scenarios have been met. Mainly steps 3 and 4 which are

Here is where things get Glitchy (Orlando showing as not clinching) from the Tie breakers Procedure. Going down the list; head head, Stalemate, division record 3-3, Stalemate, Step 3 Common games,which ends being Tampa Bay 8 wins to Orlando 7 with Orlando's Loss to Cali Sun being the deciding game.

Week 16 isn't a Common game so in sense Tampa gets the division and thus the "Y" which is correct. Somewhere in there i feel like Step 4 Conference record tie breaker is in there but coded incorrectly hence why Orlando has no "X" because it seems like the game still recognizes them as a chance to get the "Y" based on conference record which they do hold the advantage at this time.

But that's where it gets weird, Orlando's week 16 game is out of conference thus leaving them at 9-4 regardless of outcome, a win by TB would tie Orlando in conference record thus pushing this to a theoretical Step 5 "Strength of Victory" which shouldn't have even happened in the 1st place because TB won Tie breaker via Common games. Hopefully with the new format which i heard was rolled out in beta already (haven't checked it out) things are tidied up. Things have always been this way in my entire MFN Career. so it will be good to see it change for the better hopefully lol

To be honest, I don't care what criteria JDB uses, I'd just like to know what that criteria is and in what order they apply. I've asked him before and got no response.

By Cjfred68
4/27/2020 12:11 am
raidergreg69 wrote:
Dash wrote:

To be honest, I don't care what criteria JDB uses, I'd just like to know what that criteria is and in what order they apply. I've asked him before and got no response.

Amen...I've asked several times myself

By CrazyRazor
4/27/2020 2:42 am
Cjfred68 wrote:
raidergreg69 wrote:
Dash wrote:

Amen...I've asked several times myself

Maybe he doesn't know, either. Lmao

By Smirt211
4/27/2020 5:48 am
I think it hits a level where he goes unsure.

I've seen the debate threads on it and his official response, which sort of trails off...

He probably only knows to a certain deep level and then randomness takes over.

By Infinity on Trial
4/27/2020 8:14 am
I think it's the same situation as in-game mechanics and power rankings: JDB knows what the intended process is, but can't explain why it isn't working the way it is supposed to.

4/27/2020 2:49 pm
Not going to do a Week 16 blog as most of the games weren't close and there was not much playoff drama. Next blog will be following the Wildcard games. I'll be doing a playoff preview on the message board sometime Tuesday, probably early morning after work tonight. Working on compiling overall playoff records now, Memphis is 17-4 all time in 8 playoff years.