The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Coming Soon: 17 games and 14 playoff teams

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
3/15/2020 11:23 pm
The new CBA was signed today which means JDB will likely be making the switch soon. We are just starting a new season so we are still under normal operating procedure, and we'll likely see these changes for 1989.

I would love for this to be optional, and if so I would put it to a league vote. I have a feeling we won't have a choice, and there are some legitimate concerns regarding the health of our players under the new format.

Bye weeks seem to mess with the coding, which JDB has said is why we don't already use them so we probably won't be getting them in the future. So, that gives us 17 straight weeks of games and only 1 playoff BYE per conference.

There are at least 2 things I can do to help, and I'm always open to suggestions. First is, we'll only have 2 preseason games. Second, I can reduce our injury rate from it's current 100. The exact rate will likely be determined by a poll.

Feel free to chime in below...

Re: Coming Soon: 17 games and 14 playoff teams

By Cjfred68
3/17/2020 1:27 am
I've already decided that when 17 games comes....I'm lowering my injury rate to 50% on all my leagues....this will help mitigate the absence of a bye week and deter any team from an unfair advantage due to 1 bye per conference.

I still think 3 preseason games are important so I wont change that.
Last edited at 3/17/2020 1:28 am

By Smirt211
3/17/2020 1:39 am
I wrote the following in the league chat. I know we can't do this but maybe we could as a way to say 'yeah, this change, isn't going to work but thanks.'

The 17 Games are eh, I could live with it and you and CJ have made excellent points how realism doesn't follow along the lines with practice team players and extended #s.

However, the only 1 bye per conference thing, for this game, is the most incredibly stupid idea of all-time.

We pour our hearts into our teams/work hard and to shrink the window to nothing for the one reward in the postsseason is ridiculous.

I'd self-police. That last seeded game vs. the #2 team in each conference. I'd be like listen man - we're banding together and we consider this an elimination game scenario. #2 is on bye and that last seeded team is already eliminated. The last seeded team doesn't scout and jobs out. :(

Essentially, a message statement to JDB to change it back.

By Smirt211
3/17/2020 1:41 am
I still think 3 preseason games are important so I wont change that

Yeah, it is for play knowledge building and player conditioning. I don't like 2, either. I was riffing with ideas on how to combat these potential changes.

I like your fatigue setting concept. :)

By Mcarovil
3/17/2020 8:21 pm
I have no problem with 17 games. My injuries are fine and project ok for an extra game. I don’t use many overrides or play guys out of position. Maybe that helps?

By Dash
3/18/2020 2:46 pm
Mcarovil wrote:
I don’t use many overrides or play guys out of position. Maybe that helps?

I'm sure it doesn't hurt ya any :) but in all seriousness that's a good question. Does Position EXP correlate to Injuries?

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
3/18/2020 2:57 pm
Dash wrote:
Mcarovil wrote:
I don’t use many overrides or play guys out of position. Maybe that helps?

I'm sure it doesn't hurt ya any :) but in all seriousness that's a good question. Does Position EXP correlate to Injuries?

What Mac is referring to is using WR as a RB and things of that nature. It's not the experience at a position but body type. WR are lighter than RB so theory goes, the lighter WR should get hurt more as they run through the line.

If you actually make the position switch official, the players physical weight will change and eventually fall in line with the positional norm for the most part.