The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

1985 USFL/WFL All Pro Team

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
10/15/2019 6:17 am
I wanted to announce this on the blog, but I want to do it right, including previous All Pro appearances and listing vote totals. That's time consuming and I've been awake since before 10:00 am yesterday, so I'll do a blog post in a day or 3.

That's no reason to delay releasing the winners, so here they are:

Offensive MVP Tony Dean QB Houston
Defensive MVP Allan Buchanan SS Washington
Rookie of the Year - Offense Nicholas Dorey WR/RB Michigan
Rookie of the Year - Defense Ronald Biggs CB Georgia
Coach of the Year Infinity on Trial

Offensive All Pro Team

QB Tony Dean Houston
RB Corey Martin (WR) Washington, Nicholas Dorey (WR) Michigan
WR Thomas Whitley Tampa Bay, Dexter Elmer Orlando
TE Stephen Hicks Portland
OL Tuan Umana NY, Richard Mosley SJ, David Aybar Wash, Daniel Seaman Den, Bruce Holland Cle

Special Teams

KR Aaron Paul New Jersey
K John Bazile Washington
P Cody Carlin Oakland

Defensive All Pro Team

DL Robert Hunter Fla, William Milligan Pitt, Francisco Bailey TB, Irvin Balzer Hou
LB Robert Tate Chi, Leo Frederick Ga, (3 way tie Gene Gilbert Wash, Joseph Totten Bos, Charles Lyon Balt)
DB Jeffrey Danko Wash, Robert Stroble Chi, Allan Buchanan Wash, John Basel Hon

Re: 1985 USFL/WFL All Pro Team

10/15/2019 6:31 am
Just some quick notes and observations while I wait on my chicken wings and fries to cook. Sometimes I'll take home some uncooked wings from work and cook them for my dinfast (it's breakfast time but I work nights, so it's dinner time). We don't have any potato wedges though.

Coach of the year voting was tight, with Infinity edging Cjfred 7-6. 4343 had 4 votes, followed by Wolveraider(3), and 2 each for Crazy Razor and Smirt.

The MVP races were also tight, Dean edging Thomas Whitley 9-7 and Buchanan edging Robert Tate 6-4.

The rookie races were landslides, with both winners getting 12 of 24 votes.

We had 27 voters, but 3 didn't fill out the write in part, and an additional 5 didn't list MVP's, just rookies and a coach. I could have worded the question better, including listing the MVP's before the rookies. Live and learn. I also noticed the total votes cast didn't match up, meaning some people voted for less than 5 OL, less than 4 DL, etc.

That's still a great turnout. We had a 3 way tie for the last 2 LB spots, so I just included a 5th.

I also found it strange that Buchanan won Defensive MVP but Danko led the DB voting with Buchanan tied with Stroble for second.

*Players are listed in order of votes for RB, WR, OL, DL, LB, and DB*
Last edited at 10/15/2019 6:33 am

By Infinity on Trial
10/15/2019 8:02 am
Thanks for the work to put this together, greg. This is a special league.

And thanks for the COY votes! Here's hoping I don't regress by 6 games next year ...

By Cjfred68
10/15/2019 2:18 pm
Congrads Infinity for COY...well deserved.

I appreciate the votes that made this a race but I walked into a Championship ready team and some of the credit for the Gamblers success goes to Setherick for putting the core of this team together and Offensivetaco who added to it.

My job was to not screw it up!

10/15/2019 3:10 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:

I appreciate the votes that made this a race but I walked into a Championship ready team and some of the credit for the Gamblers success goes to Setherick for putting the core of this team together and Offensivetaco who added to it.

While everything you said is true, you still had to gameplan for everybody and navigate a minefield of awesome teams to win your second championship in a row. If you don't do all that winning, you're just hpkman amassing talent.

By Cjfred68
10/15/2019 3:23 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
Cjfred68 wrote:

While everything you said is true, you still had to gameplan for everybody and navigate a minefield of awesome teams to win your second championship in a row. If you don't do all that winning, you're just hpkman amassing talent.

Appreciate that Greg.....

....I sorta feel like Gruden stepping into Tampa Bay after Tony Dungy built that team.....

.....now to parley my success into a TV analysis job and later 100 million dollar head coaching contact!!!!

10/15/2019 3:23 pm
Knock on wood if you're with me

By vcr5150
10/16/2019 8:37 am
raidergreg69 wrote:
Knock on wood if you're with me

Do you like it, or do you love it?