The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1984 Week 16 Discussion

By tribewriter
7/29/2019 6:50 am
A couple of new coaches will lead their teams into the USFL/WFL playoffs, which begin Wednesday.

Baltimore coach 4343 (he's just a number to us) guided the Stars to five consecutive victories to close the season and the second Atlantic Division title in team history. Baltimore (11-5) will host division rival Washington (11-5) in the first round. The Stars swept the Federals during the regular season, 37-13 and 30-24.

The New Orleans VooDoo (10-6) qualified for the postseason in rookie head coach Shavar's first season. The VooDoo will travel to face the defending World Bowl champion New Jersey Generals (12-4). New Orleans defeated New Jersey, 17-13, in Week 2. The Generals finally have a stable of healthy RB ... but they went 5-2 with all those guys injured anyway.

The Michigan Panthers (10-6) will make their second-ever playoff appearance when they travel to Denver to face the Gold (12-4). The teams faced each other two weeks ago, Michigan prevailing, 19-16, in OT. Denver was then shut out by Birmingham, 16-0, in Week 16 to miss out on a first-round bye.

The Houston Gamblers (13-3) will face a Memphis Showboats team that is under temporary league ownership and is riddled by injuries. The Gamblers defeated the Showboats twice during the season, 49-14 and 30-14.

Memphis and Michigan both qualified for the playoffs when the Arizona Wranglers and Los Angeles Express lost their regular-season finales. The Express lost three in a row to end the season out of the playoffs for the fourth time in the last five seasons. The Wranglers had won five in a row before falling to Detroit in Week 16.

Honolulu, Detroit, Jacksonville, and Birmingham all received first-round byes.

* Jacksonville CB Gordon Wong finished the season with a league-record 15 interceptions, breaking the mark of 14 set last season by Honolulu MLB Douglas Oneal.
* Oneal set another league record, however, by returning three pickoffs for TDs this season. Four other players have recorded two interception returns for TDs in a season.
* Tampa Bay SLB Jim Grisby made 138 tackles in 1984, just missing the league record he set last season (141).
* Michigan punter Julius Horowitz pinned opponents inside the 20-yard line 70 times 1984, breaking the record of 69 he set last season.
* Birmingham RB Mark Peterson caught 138 passes this season, missing by one the league record set by Honolulu's Ronald Boatman in 1981.
* Memphis QB James Perry threw for 6,940 yards, which ranks No. 3 all-time, and 56 TDs, which ranks No. 2 all-time.
* Tampa Bay rookie QB Melvin Driggers was intercepted 38 times, missing by one the league record of 39 shared by Boston's Michael Temples (1979) and San Antonio's Tony Smith (1977).
* For those tracking Driggers' progress, the No. 1 draft pick finished with 19 TDs, 38 INT, and a 44.33 QBR. His overall rating (my weights) improved from 59.96 to 74.68 and his passing accuracy is up to 56/100.
* The Oakland Invaders and Orlando Renegades tied for the worst record (2-14). Oakland SHOULD get the No. 1 pick based on its 0-6 division record vs. Orlando's 2-4.

Last edited at 7/29/2019 8:05 am

By Pernbronze
7/29/2019 10:14 am
I don't think I've ever been so happy to have a season be over. The Storm were just doomed this season.

By Hellbringer
7/29/2019 12:39 pm
GG Toro. Panther fans everywhere are calling in sick today, dealing with hangovers from celebrating a dramatic finish and wildcard birth.

By vcr5150
7/29/2019 1:15 pm
Congrats to the playoff teams - this league is competitive enough that making the playoffs is an accomplishment.

By trslick
7/29/2019 1:34 pm
GG Memphis

By Wolveraider
7/29/2019 2:37 pm
Good game Denver...good luck in the playoffs.

The win came at a cost (not a raidergreg/Generals type loss), but a loss nonetheless....looks like we may have #1 CB Acosta out for the playoffs.

By AlexanDragon
7/29/2019 3:19 pm
Wolveraider wrote:
Good game Denver...good luck in the playoffs.

The win came at a cost (not a raidergreg/Generals type loss), but a loss nonetheless....looks like we may have #1 CB Acosta out for the playoffs.

Thats my consolation prize ! :p

By shavar
7/29/2019 3:32 pm

The New Orleans VooDoo (10-6) qualified for the postseason in rookie head coach Shavar's first season. The VooDoo will travel to face the defending World Bowl champion New Jersey Generals (12-4). New Orleans defeated New Jersey, 17-13, in Week 2. The Generals finally have a stable of healthy RB ... but they went 5-2 with all those guys injured anyway.

Its been a fun first season and I am so excited to be heading into the post season .. I know I sure made it a lot harder then it should have been.... lost games late in the season I wish I would have pulled out. That being said lets see if we can pull off the upset and not make this a one and done kind of thing.