The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1984 Week 9 Discussion

By tribewriter
7/11/2019 8:25 pm
* It was a week of turmoil in the Southwest Division as both the Houston Gamblers and the Memphis Showboats prepped for Monday's showdown with stunning losses and the San Antonio Gunslingers moved into the playoff conversation.
* San Antonio scored the final 10 points of the game to pull away from Houston, 30-19. The Gunslingers (5-4) have won four in a row after a 1-4 start. Veteran QB Walter Jackson was 32-for-39 passing and fired three TD passes for San Antonio and the defense limited Houston QB Tony Dean to 195 yards passing. Jackson's 60-yard TD throw to Chris Cornell with 3:37 to play extended a 20-19 lead to 27-19.
* Memphis could have taken over first place in the division, but fell to the coach-less Baltimore Stars, 43-28. Memphis led, 28-20, five minutes into the second half, but Baltimore scored 23 unanswered points the rest of the way. Stars QB Jon Snow threw for 420 yards and five TDs and Baltimore averaged 6.16 yards per carry on the ground.
* Tampa Bay rookie QB Melvin Driggers picked up his first pro victory as the Bandits rolled past the Florida Blazers, 27-7. Driggers, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1984 draft, completed a TD pass to RB Jimmy Clark, who also ran for two scores.
* The Jacksonville Bulls topped the Pittsburgh Maulers, 30-10, in a battle of division leaders. Edward Fields had 82 yards rushing and 72 receiving for the Bulls, who now lead the Southeast Division by five games.
* Pittsburgh (6-3) fell into a first-place tie in the Atlantic Division with the Washington Federals, who outscored the Charlotte Hornets, 23-15, behind seven tackles and an interception from FS Francis Vanhoose.
* Cleveland's 18-3 win over Chicago pulled the Thunderbolts (5-4) into a three-way tie for second place in the Midwest Division with the Blitz and the Michigan Panthers. Chicago punted or turned the ball over on downs on 14 of its 15 possessions. The league record for punts in a game is 17, shared by Michigan (1983 vs. Memphis) and Orlando (1980 vs. Tampa Bay).
* Honolulu Hawaiians MLB Douglas Oneal, last season's defensive MVP, recorded 11 tackles, an interception, and a fumble recovery during a 38-13 win over the San Jose SaberCats.
* Denver WR Corey True piled up 181 yards rushing and 160 receiving as the Gold overpowered the Arizona Wranglers, 31-12. True had 82- and 75-yard TD runs and caught a 75-yard TD pass.
* Philadelphia Bell RB Richard Brown had 104 rushing yards and 141 receiving yards during a 41-17 win over the Shreveport Steamer.
* The New Jersey Generals (7-2) maintained their three-game lead over the Bell in the Atlantic Division with a 23-0 shutout of the New York Stars. Magic Johnson and Rudi Johnson combined for 150 yards rushing.

Last edited at 7/12/2019 7:56 am

By Pernbronze
7/12/2019 3:44 am
GG hellbringer my team just doesn't have the juice to go toe to toe against great teams consistently.

By AlexanDragon
7/12/2019 1:46 pm
Pernbronze wrote:
GG hellbringer my team just doesn't have the juice to go toe to toe against great teams consistently.

I was getting mad until you said consistently hahaha

And gg arizona!
Last edited at 7/12/2019 1:48 pm

By tribewriter
7/12/2019 2:07 pm
The competition in our league has become so even, I hesitate to call any result an "upset."

Of the 32 teams in our league, 30 have made the playoffs at least once and all 32 have missed the playoffs at least once.

By trslick
7/12/2019 6:44 pm
GG San Jose

By Hellbringer
7/12/2019 7:55 pm
Pernbronze wrote:

Me either lol!

By ToroTex
7/12/2019 9:58 pm
GG Houston.

The Gunslingers have decided to play spoiler for a few weeks now.
Don't expect it to last but will take the W when we I can.
Last edited at 7/12/2019 9:58 pm

By Cjfred68
7/12/2019 11:30 pm
ToroTex wrote:
GG Houston.

The Gunslingers have decided to play spoiler for a few weeks now.
Don't expect it to last but will take the W when we I can.

Great game Gunslingers/torotex. Unlike my team, you played 4 quarters of football. My team has had 3 games this season where we seem to stop playing in the 2nd half. I thought I had addressed that problem but apparently my team needs a reminder that there are 60 minutes in a game.

Well Memphis...we both limp into our 1st showdown and one of us will lose 2 in a row unless we end in a tie. With the offensive numbers you are putting up, I'm gonna need to bring my A game to stand a chance....good luck

By Cjfred68
7/13/2019 2:06 am
tribewriter wrote:
The competition in our league has become so even, I hesitate to call any result an "upset."

Of the 32 teams in our league, 30 have made the playoffs at least once and all 32 have missed the playoffs at least once.

That's awesome......having a high level of competitive balance makes every week exciting and makes for great playoff races. In some leagues the playoff teams are all decided by week 10 to 12 with only seeding coming into question. I'm a sucker for a good playoff race