The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

1984 off-season

By Pernbronze
6/01/2019 5:09 am
Man storm got hammered with 12 retirements, including most of the wr and safety groups.

Re: 1984 off-season

By tribewriter
6/01/2019 5:50 am
I knew Portland had a lot of older players, but I be did not know the extent of it. Just like with kids, they can't stay little forever.

By tribewriter
6/01/2019 5:52 am
We had 15 pages of retirements, way more than in any previous season. We are 10 seasons past the allocation draft, so that makes sense. A lot of the rookies from 1974 are now old men.

By Kababmaster
6/01/2019 9:16 am
Well, quite an eventful beginning to the off-season in Memphis.

To begin with, we re-signed some players that were destined for the FA market. Then, I discovered that not ALL players in their final contract year was listed in the negotiating wizard screen, and began frantically trying to re-sign some key vets....but there was no "Contract" tab to offer them....not sure I've ever seen that.

I then set about moving our FB to LT before camp, only to discover our FB2 became "unhappy" and wanted out of Memphis after changing FB1's position...so I'm now faced with adding a FB to our teams needs lol

We also parted ways with our HC and promoted Juan Huss to lead the team in a new direction.

Thankfully, we are $94 million under the cap...so looking to hit the FA market heavy. Lots of changes, but the team is still in pretty decent shape imo.

By greyghost1225
6/01/2019 9:31 am
Kababmaster wrote:
Well, quite an eventful beginning to the off-season in Memphis.

To begin with, we re-signed some players that were destined for the FA market. Then, I discovered that not ALL players in their final contract year was listed in the negotiating wizard screen, and began frantically trying to re-sign some key vets....but there was no "Contract" tab to offer them....not sure I've ever seen that.

I then set about moving our FB to LT before camp, only to discover our FB2 became "unhappy" and wanted out of Memphis after changing FB1's position...so I'm now faced with adding a FB to our teams needs lol

We also parted ways with our HC and promoted Juan Huss to lead the team in a new direction.

Thankfully, we are $94 million under the cap...so looking to hit the FA market heavy. Lots of changes, but the team is still in pretty decent shape imo.

There is no contract tab when s player is signed to a 1 year contract, he becomes a free agent automatically after that year. One thing you will find in this league, everyone hoards their money and players.

By Kababmaster
6/01/2019 9:37 am
greyghost1225 wrote:

There is no contract tab when s player is signed to a 1 year contract, he becomes a free agent automatically after that year. One thing you will find in this league, everyone hoards their money and players.

Yups, had forgotten about that part of 1 year contracts, to be fair, privatesnowflake perhaps thought this might have been their final season also as they are vets.

Thanks for the reminder.

By Pernbronze
6/04/2019 5:55 pm
The storm, long a beacon of continuity in the front office with great success abruptly changed their head coach after playing the long game waiting patiently on the development of their offensive line coach. The storm were considering waiting another season or two until heldt was ready to retire but gm pernbronze didn't think the talented vela could go unpoached that long.

Heldt was pernbronzes handpicked head coach in the 1975 offseason. Heldt shined leading one of just 2 teams never dipping below .500. Unfortunately he also failed to collect a championship, despite having some of the most talented teams to work with. Much like future bengals coach marvin lewis always great but never champion grew old.

The storm came upon vela in 1980 and pegged him as the future star head coach then. They signed him to coach their offensive line and he never let them down churning out several all pros. Vela becomes head coach at the tender age of just 38. He takes over with an 84 overall and the storm love his pass focused playbook and balanced 3-4. The storm are both excited and relieved after carefully keeping him a secret from poachers for several seasons as he developed. From one of the longest running coaches to the next vela figures to be head coach for the storm for the next 20 seasons.